another gulf coast boxie ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beeliz

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Montreal,Quebec
My Gulf coast box turtle is almost 6 months old,and I am thinking of getting another one. Does it have to be the same type of turtle? is there any others that are similar to the set up I have now? Humid and warm...tanks in advance :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I suppose it would be ok. They won't make each other sick or anything. But I'm afraid I'm pretty much of a box turtle purist. I don't like to see different sub species of box turtle in the same habitat. All mine are separated. They WILL interbreed.

turtlemann2

5 Year Member
Mid Willamette Valley, Or
i am too, i like them apart, but as far as what is closest in requirements?

id go florida then three toed then eastern, ornates have very differant requirments

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
I keep my gulf coast with eastern's and three toed's. I don't plan to sell any hatchlings if I find any in the garden, so I don't care if they breed. Why don't you just get another GC? There's a few babies on Kingsnake now.

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
I keep my gulfies with my Floridas or Easterns. I separate the males and female though so I don't get any hybrids.

Beeliz

5 Year Member
Montreal,Quebec
Ok,,thanks! I will look into another GC or a florida ornate and see what I find :)

turtlemann2

5 Year Member
Mid Willamette Valley, Or
a florida ornate? these are two very differant sub species, a florida would be a good match with a GC but an ornate boxie is at home on the praire has a much more carnivious diet and are generally considerd harder to keep

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
I had my Ornate for 32 years, and she was very difficult to keep. She hibernated outside for a few years, and then she couldn't take the cold Winters any more and I had to bring her in. If I didn't get her in fast enough and she spent a few cold nights outside she would get puffy eyes. She was always healthy and a good eater, but one day I went out to feed her and she was laying on her favorite plant. I thought she was sleeping, but she never ran over to eat...not like her at all...and she was dead. I still can't get over that...Awful. I don't think I will ever get another Ornate.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Here's my beautiful Nora...32 years old....the Summer that she died, last year.
041-12.jpg

Libby,.... GCBT's have the greatest personalities. Milly, my GC is the guard turtle of the turtle yard. If someone comes to see the garden, she will come out from whereever she is hiding to scare them off. Very funny girl. We tried this a few times to see if it was just a coincidence, and she did it every time. She doesn't do it when I'm there alone.
041-16.jpg

SailingMystic

5 Year Member
Chester County, PA
terryo said:
Here's my beautiful Nora...32 years old....the Summer that she died, last year.

She was sooo pretty! I'm sorry.

Libby,.... GCBT's have the greatest personalities. Milly, my GC is the guard turtle of the turtle yard. If someone comes to see the garden, she will come out from whereever she is hiding to scare them off. Very funny girl. We tried this a few times to see if it was just a coincidence, and she did it every time. She doesn't do it when I'm there alone.

I have never seen a turtle do that :)!!

Status
Not open for further replies.