Another Hermanni sex and sub species for confirmation

CaptainGinko

Hi, I have 2 Hermanns. I believe they are both Eastern one is male approx. 13 years named Dhab (from hatchling) and Dot a female approximately 10years old (purchased at 3 years old). At the time of aquistion they were both too young to know anything for sure so I would like a confirmation or second/third opinion. Here are some pics.

First 2 pics is the 13yo assumed male.
Second 2 pics is the 10 year old female.

Never thought about breeding but getting ready to put them outside for the summer so thinking about spring and all the comes with it.

I have not hibernated them ever. So they may not go for it but Dhab is all over my girl Dot. That being said there may be no fruit for his labor or labor for her fruit. I have been creeping these and other forums for years and appreciate all the help and reading.

Male Dhab 13 years Eastern Hermann Shell and bottom: tort.hermanns.male.shell.jpg tort.hermanns.male.bottoml.jpg
Female Dot 10 years Eastern Hermann Shell and bottom: tort.hermanns.female.shell.jpg
tort.hermanns.female.bottom.jpg
If anyone can confirm/deny/best guess on any of my info please chime in. Thanks in advance.

I could be totally out of it but I know for sure they are tortoises!

~d

CapG

HermanniChris

TFO Sponsor
10 Year Member!
Wonderful tortoises. You're right, both easterns but without a doubt, they are both males. Watch out for fighting. It absolutely does not always happen, but it can. Fighting is 100% healthy and promotes naturalistic behavior, but only within a well-managed breeding colony and with "time out pens" available at all times.

CaptainGinko

tort.hermanns.male.bottom.jpg
Above is the missing plastron. This is Dhab, the one I though was male.

Here is an updated picture of the suspected female.This is the plastron originally posted twice. It is now colour coded to match the dot on her shell.

I do admit now that I have examined and reexamined they both do look the same. Male is a little bigger.

tort.hermanns.female.bottom.jpg tort.table.jpg
There is no real fighting just chasing by the male. They do have a large 36 X 60 inch table with hides. And if I think they need some separate time I have a divider or I just let them run around the house.

They will be going to the balcony from beginning of May to Mid Sep. or so. Its about 5 feet by 25 feet. Full sun on half all day. Covering with straw.

ps. I couldn't figure out how to edit my original post. Any hints?

Last edited: