another newbie needing veteran help

Status
Not open for further replies.

bklees81

5 Year Member
For the last few weeks I've been debating on getting a tort. I didn't rush in I evaluated the decision heavily. I googled read books an asked around which led me to this forum. I really want a life long pet an friend to share with my daughter who's almost two an much two young to be involved but will grow an learn to take care of it as it grows with her. I realize the long commitment an responsibility involved. I live in south east Texas so the climate humidity an foliage are perfect. I decided to get a sulcata. I ordered it from tortoise shack online. I'm unaware of how to post pics or upload to this site I even downloaded the app or I'd show the little fella off. I have him indoors in a thirty gallon aquarium he's got coconut bedding a large hide space a sidemounted under tank heater UV light an all I got him Tues an I've been following the info on here to a t with the humidity an heat levels. Here's the thing since he's been here I can't get him to eat. I've put him outside in the grass I've clipped assortment of dandilions clovers an other grasses. I've bought the spring mixes he wont even eat the sample of food they sent with him that looks a little like dry dog food they said that's what he was started on. I'm unsure what normal activity looks like so I can't say if he's not active enough he moves around if I sit him some where he doesn't like an he does dig a hole every now an again he's been pooping to four times since he's been here. I'm trying to find a vet but I'm not finding any reptile vets anywhere an going to a dog or cat vet seems pointless. Anyway any advice would be appreciated on what to do an how to post pics. My name is Brandon an I'm from baytown Texas.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
Welcome to the forum, I hope you enjoy your visits here. Congrats on the tortoise, I hope he grows up big and strong as for a vet we do have a vet list here, we also have a member here from texas who is a vet, I am not quite sure where he lives but his username is exoticsdr.

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
Hi Brandon, welcome to the forum. Frequently a sulcata will stop eating when they are moved to a new environment. He needs to get used to his new home and possibly to you also. If you don't have a temperature gun yet I advise you to get one soon. I use a PE-1 and it has proven to be a valuable tool for spot checking temps. I even use it to check the water temp when I soak my tortoise.

Your baby may be adjusting to his new home or he might not be warm enough. They really need a basking spot that is about 100* so they can get warmed up. Once they are warm and feel secure then they will want some food.

It is a good idea to locate a vet nearby. To be on the safe side you might take a poop sample in to have it tested for parasites. My sulcata went through a period of not eating and I took him to a vet and found that he had pin-worms. Once that was cleared up his appetite really picked up and hasn't stopped.

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
Welcome to the Forum!

You picked a Great Site to learn how to raise a Sulcata!

Your little guy will need a few days to adjust to his new home. Sulcatas are GREAT EATERS... always have food avalable to him! His appitite will eventually overwhelm his shyness!:D

Dont be afraid to let your springmix wilt a little in the enclosure, I have found my little ones dont really care for the "Fresh out of the Fridge" greens, but gobble them down latter in the day when they are warm and wilted.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
WELCOME :D. Stick to the advice you find here and good luck. I am not good on posting pics, but a lot of people uses the websites "tinypics". There is also another free site that I can't think of right now. Someone will be along to help me out with the name and you to post pics. Check out the threads at the bottom of my post, great info for Sulcata's.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Brandon:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

Take your little baby out of the habitat every morning and place him in a little bowl (that he can't climb out of) of warm water to which you have added a couple drops of liquid bird vitamins. The water should only come up to the middle of his sides...where the top shell meets the bottom shell. Leave him in there while you chop up his food into very small pieces. Use Spring mix, any dark leafy greens and some weeds from outside. Very small pieces. Take just a tiny pinch between finger and thumb of calcium powder and sprinkle it over the chopped food and stir it up. Place the food at the feeding station in the habitat. Then put the baby in front of the food and step quickly out of sight. You can peek around the corner to see if he's going to eat. Leave the food there all day.

Jacob

5 Year Member
California
Welcome to the forum!
Usually torts need a break in time, it usually takes a good week until they are comfortable from the big move.
Just leave out fresh water food daily :)
Soaking a couple times a week, and keeping up the humidity in the cage is very beneficial :)

bklees81

5 Year Member
Well its been a since I posted this thread. An really I was waiting to see which way I was gonna go with my update. My little guy was in pretty bad shape. I read all the replys an pm's I received an I really appreciate it I've almost went through the entire 2000 an something past threads in the sulcata section. An I'm glad to say that after two weeks of antibiotics three daily soaks for a month twelve hours a day outside sunning an exercise four vet trips my little guy is not only recovered but is more energetic an constantly hungry than any tortoise I've seen or read about an I never expected a tortoise or any reptile or any animal outside of a domestic house animal to show appreciation an an a longing for affection. I have read numerous times they don't seek affection but I dis believe I've never once hand fed him an when set free in the yard he follows like a dog. If u hold him I'm ur hand he doesn't walk he sprawls out his arms legs and head as to say "I trust you" every day he does something that amazes me. He brings a lot of smiles an amusement not just to me but my daughter absolutely loves him. I've never got more enjoyment from a pet in my life an I'm glad he pulled through. I do wanna ask to things I haven't been able to find in the threads is it normal for a tortoise to constantly run he never walks he's either stopped or running every where he wanders an two he refuses to eat any kind of pellet mazuri or grassland tortoise pellets I mean none I gave it to him whole crushed wet dry soggy mixed with his greens he just picks around it. He eats spring mix an arugula like he's starving an grazes like an old milk cow but doesn't care at all for pellets is that normal?

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
Glad to hear he's doing better!

That is very normal. Most like Mazuri but not all. Try it again in a month of so he might change

Status
Not open for further replies.