Help on my sulcata

sulcatajosh

Hello, I'm new to the forum. My name is josh and I recently adopted a suclata from my neighbor. He did not want it. I did some research on them and how big they get some things to feed him. But I was wondering what an average length for a 1year old sulcata should be. He's about 4 inches.. I've seen other pictures and most look bigger then mine. The owner said he had been putting a light over the tort but it was a regular bulb. So I put one of my extra heat lamps over him from my snake cage. The basking spot is about 90. I have been feeding him some lettece, grass, dandilions, and some zoo med food for dessert torts. Its kind of difficult to get him to eat the zoo med food any ideas how I can get him to eat it more?

Attachments

• 1392519031734.jpg
    1392519031734.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 58

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
California
Hi Josh, welcome to the Forum. At four inches your sulcata may be a little small, but that is understandable from what you have described. It's really hard to say because their growth rate varies so much. The best way to get him to eat more is to "dial-in" all the environmental factors and then let nature take over. When the baby sulcata is warm enough, and can thermo-regulate to their desire, and have a safe hiding spot where they feel comfortable, then they will look for food. One of our members has written a good description of how to care for a baby sulcata. It's this thread: http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-79895.html
It it are the environmental details that you need to have in order to get your baby back to eating as he should.

T33's Torts

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Neverland!
Hello there! My only advice is to read the thread commented above.
:)