Help with sulcata tort month old

Carter04

ok got some questions. Haveing a hard time getting him to eat zoo Med grassland food even soft ? He love to eat Roman do they sleep a lot when young? And he wants to bite him food dish just want to know if these things are normal thanks for any help I can get

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Carter04: You're asking about a sulcata, and yet you've placed your thread in the box turtle section. Can we please see your animal to be sure we're giving you the correct info?

Some of my animals eat tortoise pellets and some turn their noses up at it. Some think a colorful food dish might taste good and some don't. Naturally they like Romaine lettuce. It's like candy to them.

ColleenT

Lehigh Valley Pa
yeah that is a tortoise, not a box turtle. i am sure you'll find more help in the tortoise sections.

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
Biting the food dish is normal. My sulcata often tests things to see if they are edible with his mouth, such as my feet. When my sulcata was little he wouldn't touch pellets either, so I didn't force it. Some owners have luck by chopping up everything really small, soaking the pellets and mixing them with his favorite foods. That way he can't pick out his favorites and leave the rest. You could also try Mazuri; he might like it better. Romaine isn't very good as a primary food. If you have access to weeds and grass that hasn't been sprayed or touched by other animals, you can gather that to feed him. Charlie has eaten mostly weeds and grass for most of his life, and he is now 17. Keep in mind that these animals get huge and their food requirements grow with them; grass and weeds are much cheaper and healthier for them than most store-bought greens.

Make sure he is kept warm enough to digest his food and has a source of UV light, like the sun. He could be sleeping a lot because he isn't warm enough.

Carter04

After I changed his lights he is now more active and thanks I be had home out side for three hours and he has only ate a few bites of grass I guess it just something I will mixing and see if I can find the right mix for him to eat thanks

BrianWI

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
I found that ripping the greens mine likes into small pieces and mixing with the soaked pellets worked well.

Carter04

Thanks for all the help but he still will not eat it I'm going craZy ! He turns his head and walks back to his house I feel like it's a two year old kid But I want to know if I was to only offer him the mix if he would have to eat it and not have a chose or is that just to mean ?? Help me !!!!

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Welcome to the forum! Hope you'll get the help you need here.

That a cute tort, GOD bless.

Carter04

Thanks for all y'alls help is so well loved and already spoiled loved to lay his head on my hand while he sleeps ❤️

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    224 KB · Views: 16

Barrysulcata

Uk
Hi
I've only had mine for 3 weeks when I went and brought him I saw him eating grass when I got him home all he wonted to do was go in is box so I left him couple days then picked him out of box put him by food done that for a week
He now knows we're is box is and food and garden is and does it all him self
I think new environment plus plenty going on with me making box wiring lights now done he's settled in
Tim