Pretty Pets/Pretty Bird, Pretty Pellets

Tortski

Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
I just want to know what you guys think of pretty pellets. My tort goes crazy for these pellets, and I've never let been able to get him to eat mazuri or zoo med pellets regularly. He will only eat mazuri if I'm holding it, and he refuses to eat Zoo Med mix unless I trick him (putting pretty pellets on top).

I'm trying to get these pretty pellets (and the Zoo Med stuff) into his diet more, because his diet is mostly lettuce, squash, bell peppers, and apples. I've tried to cut out apples and peppers completely, but there are days where we have nothing else.

So, I'm rambling. Do you guys think that they are okay to put into his diet?

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
I read the ingredients for the pellets, and no... I would never feed that to my torts. Your sully needs WEEDS. Lots and lots of weeds. Lettuce has little or no nutritional value. Apple's are too high in sugars.

Tortski

Arizona
I read the ingredients for the pellets, and no... I would never feed that to my torts. Your sully needs WEEDS. Lots and lots of weeds. Lettuce has little or no nutritional value. Apple's are too high in sugars.
I know, I'm trying my best. My parents recently covered the yards in wood chips (not his cage), and covered the little grass we had and dug up weeds. He refuses to eat cactus, or any of the other plants in the yard. I've tried planting dandelions and grass in his cage, but I recently had to dig around with small magnet, so they all died. I can probably try to get my mom to buy dandelion greens more often, but I doubt she will, considering the fact that my parents don't really care about his health.

He's also been getting more grape leaves in his diet, but I doubt that it's going to last long.

I promise you, I'm trying my hardest. Thank you for the answer, I suppose I will try use the rest of the pellets to get him onto other food.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
First thing to remember is that there is nothing more stubborn than a tortoise. They can be like sulky children that only want to eat candy and chips.

And the second thing is that your tort won't intentionally starve itself.

If the only food on offer is good healthy greens then your tort will hold out for a few days, some hold out for a couple of weeks, but it will start eating what is available rather than holding out for what it likes best.

You have to be strong and not panic while your tort is refusing to eat. (We will help you). You mustn't get into hand feeding as that's just making another problem.

Soak your tort for at least 30 minutes every day that he refuses to eat to make sure he stays hydrated. It's better done first thing in the morning as a good poop can make them hungry!

Make sure you feed your tort first thing in the morning too. No excuses about school, you just have to get up a bit earlier.

To be clear, your tort cannot digest sugars properly - they cause digestive and kidney problems - and eating sweet foods like fruit, tomato, bell pepper and carrot regularly will make your tort sick. They may be fed in very small portions occasionally, but must be avoided completely while you are teaching him what a healthy diet is.

Write a list of the plants that grow around you (our plant ID forum will help you to identify the ones you don't know) and the ones you can buy in the grocery store and look them up on the online Tortoise Table Plant Database for suitability to feed. This website will tell why things are suitable or notand give a recommendation as to how often you can feed the plant.
https://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk

Tortski

Arizona
First thing to remember is that there is nothing more stubborn than a tortoise. They can be like sulky children that only want to eat candy and chips.

And the second thing is that your tort won't intentionally starve itself.

If the only food on offer is good healthy greens then your tort will hold out for a few days, some hold out for a couple of weeks, but it will start eating what is available rather than holding out for what it likes best.

You have to be strong and not panic while your tort is refusing to eat. (We will help you). You mustn't get into hand feeding as that's just making another problem.

Soak your tort for at least 30 minutes every day that he refuses to eat to make sure he stays hydrated. It's better done first thing in the morning as a good poop can make them hungry!

Make sure you feed your tort first thing in the morning too. No excuses about school, you just have to get up a bit earlier.

To be clear, your tort cannot digest sugars properly - they cause digestive and kidney problems - and eating sweet foods like fruit, tomato, bell pepper and carrot regularly will make your tort sick. They may be fed in very small portions occasionally, but must be avoided completely while you are teaching him what a healthy diet is.

Write a list of the plants that grow around you (our plant ID forum will help you to identify the ones you don't know) and the ones you can buy in the grocery store and look them up on the online Tortoise Table Plant Database for suitability to feed. This website will tell why things are suitable or notand give a recommendation as to how often you can feed the plant.
https://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk
Well, I will try. Thank you. I just have to say that he has never pooped while soaking, so I don't know how well that will go.

Trust me, I stopped hand feeding him when he started going after my hand when I was feeding him mazuri.

I've been using fruits as a last resort for when there is nothing else.

Thank you, I will take a look

Tortski

Arizona
You might try finely chopping some fruits, vegetables and greens together.... then gradually increase the amount of greens and decrease the fruits.
I've tried that, he refused to take a bite. Even if it had his favorite foods (grape leaves and dandelions) that weren't chopped up. If it is touching something that he doesn't want to eat then it's poisoned! Unless if it's the pellets on top of Zoo Med stuff

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Well, I will try. Thank you. I just have to say that he has never pooped while soaking, so I don't know how well that will go.

Trust me, I stopped hand feeding him when he started going after my hand when I was feeding him mazuri.

Just be strong and don’t give in. Put fresh food out in the morning. If it’s still there next morning then soak your tort in a large flat bottomed bowl like a washing up bowl so he can walk about, clear the old food away and put fresh food in its place. Replace your tort and leave him alone to sulk and get hungry. Don’t keep watch or keep picking him up - he has to do this himself!

And, as a tortoise keeper of many decades, I can honestly say you will probably have to do this again in a few years time when your tort tries it on again! They really are stubborn!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I've tried that, he refused to take a bite. Even if it had his favorite foods (grape leaves and dandelions) that weren't chopped up. If it is touching something that he doesn't want to eat then it's poisoned! Unless if it's the pellets on top of Zoo Med stuff
Better to not eat, than eat things that are harmful. Stop with the fruit.

Look around you and find a mulberry tree. Lots of mulberry trees in AZ. I'll bet you a dollar that I could find all sorts of tortoise edibles within a 10 minute walk from your house. At the store, buy escarole and endive instead of lettuce. You can also get those little plots of sprouted whet grass at some grocery store and at any Petco or Petsmart. If you keep those plots watered and in a window sill, you can get 8 or 9 cuttings per plot. Don't give up on the spineless cactus pads either. No tortoise just walks up and starts eating new foods the first day it sees them. Especially not when they are used to eating lettuce. Cut that cactus into strips and smear some Mazuri all over it. Eventually, with some effort, these pads will become one of your tortoises favorites. You can also plant some cactus and grow your own, so you don't have to buy it.

This can be a challenge to figure out at first, but your tortoise's health and well being is at stake here. We will help you. Find the right foods.

Tortski

Arizona
Better to not eat, than eat things that are harmful. Stop with the fruit.

Look around you and find a mulberry tree. Lots of mulberry trees in AZ. I'll bet you a dollar that I could find all sorts of tortoise edibles within a 10 minute walk from your house. At the store, buy escarole and endive instead of lettuce. You can also get those little plots of sprouted whet grass at some grocery store and at any Petco or Petsmart. If you keep those plots watered and in a window sill, you can get 8 or 9 cuttings per plot. Don't give up on the spineless cactus pads either. No tortoise just walks up and starts eating new foods the first day it sees them. Especially not when they are used to eating lettuce. Cut that cactus into strips and smear some Mazuri all over it. Eventually, with some effort, these pads will become one of your tortoises favorites. You can also plant some cactus and grow your own, so you don't have to buy it.

This can be a challenge to figure out at first, but your tortoise's health and well being is at stake here. We will help you. Find the right foods.
Okay, no more fruit, unless someone gives it to him without my okay, which might happen. I've had to tell my mom no more fruits multiple times, but that has yet to stop.

We have prickly pear in our yard, but it's not spineless, and my parents thought it would be okay to give him with the spines, so now he doesn't trust it at all. I will try to find the stuff that you have recommended. As for the mulberry tree, I will try to find one next time I take my dogs for a walk.

Thank you

He currently has a mix of foods from my yard (most of them are labeled as feed sparingly in Tortoise Table) along with some roses from my grandma (one time treat). If he doesn't eat that, then I will try to mix it with the Zoo Med stuff and pretty pellets (which I will wean him off of), but not right now as it the water will probably ruin it.

We are going to Home Depot hopefully someday soon, so I will try to find some tort safe plants.

Last edited:

Tortski

Arizona
Just be strong and don’t give in. Put fresh food out in the morning. If it’s still there next morning then soak your tort in a large flat bottomed bowl like a washing up bowl so he can walk about, clear the old food away and put fresh food in its place. Replace your tort and leave him alone to sulk and get hungry. Don’t keep watch or keep picking him up - he has to do this himself!

And, as a tortoise keeper of many decades, I can honestly say you will probably have to do this again in a few years time when your tort tries it on again! They really are stubborn!
Sorry, I didn't see this

Thank you. He currently has a nice big puddle to wade through, from when I was cleaning his bowls, so hopefully that will be good enough for today.

We actually have a kiddie pool for his soaking, but it's one of the flimsy plastic ones that his nails could easily poke a hole in. I don't soak him as often as I should, because I have to cover the bottom with towels and put rocks on them to keep them in place, which doesn't stop him from moving them around. He always has access to water, though. I will try to soak him everyday if I have to.

You don't have to worry about me lifting him to much. About a year ago he weighed in at 26lbs and I do not have the ability to do that a lot.

I do not look forward to when he is older, especially if I have to do this again.

Emily Contreras

Arizona

I wish my tort didn't poop when soaking lol! As soon as I put him in he just lets it go!!!!

Anyways, Im a bit concerned with the care your parents are offering with this tort, They dont care at all?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
The store I visit most. BEVERLY'S PET CENTER in Pembroke Pines has a bag of Pretty Pets pellets that has been on clearance and is so old, the clear package is yellow and the label has faded.
It smells like Fruit Loops cereal. The ingredients are super horrible. Maybe suited for a Redfoot? Certainly nothing else.

Minority2

Tortoise Hell
The store I visit most. BEVERLY'S PET CENTER in Pembroke Pines has a bag of Pretty Pets pellets that has been on clearance and is so old, the clear package is yellow and the label has faded.
It smells like Fruit Loops cereal. The ingredients are super horrible. Maybe suited for a Redfoot? Certainly nothing else.

Mazuri 5m21 Ingredients List:
Ground soybean hulls, ground corn, dehulled soybean meal, ground oats, wheat middlings, cane molasses, wheat germ, dehydrated alfalfa meal, dicalcium phosphate, soybean oil, brewers dried yeast, calcium carbonate, salt, dl-methionine, choline chloride, pyridoxine hydrochloride, mixed tocopherols (preservative, form of vitamin E; citric acid, rosemary extract), d-alpha-tocopheryl acetate (form of vitamin E), manganous oxide, zinc oxide, ferrous carbonate, calcium pantothenate, niacin, copper sulfate, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of vitamin K), riboflavin, l-lysine, zinc sulfate, thiamine mononitrate, calcium iodate, folic acid, vitamin a acetate, sodium selenite, cobalt carbonate, biotin, vitamin B12 supplement, cholecalciferol (vitamin D3).

Zoo-med Natural Grassland Tortoise Food Ingredients List:
Suncured Timothy Hay, Wheat Middlings, Almond Hull Meal, Miscanthus Ground Grass, Suncured Alfalfa Meal, Ground Wheat, Calcium Carbonate, Escarole, Endive, Monocalcium Phosphate, Dicalcium Phosphate, Dried Dandelion Greens, Sodium Bicarbonate, Dried Lactobacillus acidophilus Fermentation Product, Dried Lactobacillus casei Fermentation Product, Dried Bifidobacterium bifidum Fermentation Product, Dried Enterococcus faecium Fermentation Product, Hydrated Sodium Calcium Aluminosilicate, Hydrolyzed Yeast, Brewers Dried Yeast, Yeast Culture, Garlic Extract, Anise Extract, Chinese Cassia Bark Extract, Ginger Extract, Horseradish, Juniper Extract, Yucca schidigera Extract, L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate (source of stabilized Vitamin C), Vitamin E Supplement, Zinc Methionine Complex, Mixed Tocopherols (a preservative), Rosemary Extract, Ascorbic Acid, Citric Acid (a preservative), Lecithin, Silicon Dioxide, Choline Chloride, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Niacin Supplement, d-Calcium Pantothenate (source of Vitamin B5), Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex (source of Vitamin K activity), Riboflavin Supplement (source of Vitamin B2), Thiamine Mononitrate (source of Vitamin B1), Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (source of Vitamin B6), Biotin, Folic Acid, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Zinc Oxide, Manganous Oxide, Ferrous Sulfate, Copper Chloride, Calcium Iodate, Sodium Selenite.

Pretty Pets Large Tortoise Food Ingredients List:
Oats, Corn, Oat Hulls, Calcium Carbonate, Dicalcium Phosphate, Corn Gluten Meal, L-Lysine, Choline Chloride, Natural and Artificial Flavors, DL Methionine, Vitamin E Supplement, Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C), Ferrous Sulfate, D-Biotin, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Zinc Oxide, Manganous Oxide, Niacinamide, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Mixed Tocopherols, Copper Sulfate, Calcium Iodate, Citric Acid, Vitamin A Supplement, Calcium Pantothenate, Sodium Selenite, Folic Acid, Riboflavin, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Thiamine Mononitrate, Natural and Artificial Colors, Menadione Dimethylpyrimidinol Bisulfite (source of Vitamin K3), Vitamin D3 Supplement, Cobalt Sulfate, Rosemary Extract.

To be fair, many of the ingredients in Pretty Pets are quite similar to other more popular supplemental pellet type tortoise foods on the market.

@Tortski
These products are fine as a additional part (Once or twice a week at most) of your tortoise's overall diet but should never be fed as a main staple. Pellet type foods often contain a large amount of protein and sugar; two problematic substances that can cause most tortoises health issues in excess.

Tortski

Arizona
I wish my tort didn't poop when soaking lol! As soon as I put him in he just lets it go!!!!

Anyways, Im a bit concerned with the care your parents are offering with this tort, They dont care at all?
They do care, but there are times that we have gotten into arguments about stuff that you guys have told me to do. My mom cares more than my dad, but not much gets done.

For example, we were planning on getting a shed from my grandparents to use as a hide. I had to keep reminding my parents about it, since nothing was getting done about it. We finally got it yesterday, but I ended getting yelled at more than once, because some how I should be the one getting the shed, even though I have no way to do so.

Tortski

Arizona
Mazuri 5m21 Ingredients List:
Ground soybean hulls, ground corn, dehulled soybean meal, ground oats, wheat middlings, cane molasses, wheat germ, dehydrated alfalfa meal, dicalcium phosphate, soybean oil, brewers dried yeast, calcium carbonate, salt, dl-methionine, choline chloride, pyridoxine hydrochloride, mixed tocopherols (preservative, form of vitamin E; citric acid, rosemary extract), d-alpha-tocopheryl acetate (form of vitamin E), manganous oxide, zinc oxide, ferrous carbonate, calcium pantothenate, niacin, copper sulfate, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of vitamin K), riboflavin, l-lysine, zinc sulfate, thiamine mononitrate, calcium iodate, folic acid, vitamin a acetate, sodium selenite, cobalt carbonate, biotin, vitamin B12 supplement, cholecalciferol (vitamin D3).

Zoo-med Natural Grassland Tortoise Food Ingredients List:
Suncured Timothy Hay, Wheat Middlings, Almond Hull Meal, Miscanthus Ground Grass, Suncured Alfalfa Meal, Ground Wheat, Calcium Carbonate, Escarole, Endive, Monocalcium Phosphate, Dicalcium Phosphate, Dried Dandelion Greens, Sodium Bicarbonate, Dried Lactobacillus acidophilus Fermentation Product, Dried Lactobacillus casei Fermentation Product, Dried Bifidobacterium bifidum Fermentation Product, Dried Enterococcus faecium Fermentation Product, Hydrated Sodium Calcium Aluminosilicate, Hydrolyzed Yeast, Brewers Dried Yeast, Yeast Culture, Garlic Extract, Anise Extract, Chinese Cassia Bark Extract, Ginger Extract, Horseradish, Juniper Extract, Yucca schidigera Extract, L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate (source of stabilized Vitamin C), Vitamin E Supplement, Zinc Methionine Complex, Mixed Tocopherols (a preservative), Rosemary Extract, Ascorbic Acid, Citric Acid (a preservative), Lecithin, Silicon Dioxide, Choline Chloride, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Niacin Supplement, d-Calcium Pantothenate (source of Vitamin B5), Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex (source of Vitamin K activity), Riboflavin Supplement (source of Vitamin B2), Thiamine Mononitrate (source of Vitamin B1), Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (source of Vitamin B6), Biotin, Folic Acid, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Zinc Oxide, Manganous Oxide, Ferrous Sulfate, Copper Chloride, Calcium Iodate, Sodium Selenite.

Pretty Pets Large Tortoise Food Ingredients List:
Oats, Corn, Oat Hulls, Calcium Carbonate, Dicalcium Phosphate, Corn Gluten Meal, L-Lysine, Choline Chloride, Natural and Artificial Flavors, DL Methionine, Vitamin E Supplement, Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C), Ferrous Sulfate, D-Biotin, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Zinc Oxide, Manganous Oxide, Niacinamide, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Mixed Tocopherols, Copper Sulfate, Calcium Iodate, Citric Acid, Vitamin A Supplement, Calcium Pantothenate, Sodium Selenite, Folic Acid, Riboflavin, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Thiamine Mononitrate, Natural and Artificial Colors, Menadione Dimethylpyrimidinol Bisulfite (source of Vitamin K3), Vitamin D3 Supplement, Cobalt Sulfate, Rosemary Extract.

To be fair, many of the ingredients in Pretty Pets are quite similar to other more popular supplemental pellet type tortoise foods on the market.

@Tortski
These products are fine as a additional part (Once or twice a week at most) of your tortoise's overall diet but should never be fed as a main staple. Pellet type foods often contain a large amount of protein and sugar; two problematic substances that can cause most tortoises health issues in excess.
Okay, thank you. I've only been feeding him the pellets when he was inside when the weather is too rough for him.

Tortski

Arizona
Yesterday, he ate some roses and that was about it. I think we are getting a grape leave delivery soon, and my mom said that she would look for endive.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
We are going to Home Depot hopefully someday soon, so I will try to find some tort safe plants.

Unless it is intended for human consumption, no plant from Home Depot or any other local nursery will be tort safe. They grow them with systemic pesticides to keep the bugs off and keep them looking pretty for market. These systemic pesticides can last more than a year. You'll need to grow your own plants from seed, or find long established plants with no chemicals on or in them to either feed out, or get cuttings from to start your own.

Tortski

Arizona
Unless it is intended for human consumption, no plant from Home Depot or any other local nursery will be tort safe. They grow them with systemic pesticides to keep the bugs off and keep them looking pretty for market. These systemic pesticides can last more than a year. You'll need to grow your own plants from seed, or find long established plants with no chemicals on or in them to either feed out, or get cuttings from to start your own.
Well that sucks... Thanks for letting me know.