another RT

Status
Not open for further replies.

slowpoke

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
colorado springs, colorado
Going tomorrow to Denver to pick up another RT they say its female I hope it is sense I live about 80 miles from Denver I'm hoping they send me pics to night like they said when they get off work ... ill post pics as soon as I get home from picking her up...already got my box ready to bring her home in and some heat packs to keep her warm ...

Irwin4530

5 Year Member
Congrats and good luck tomorrow.
Hope all goes well and I am sure she will be happy with you!

pam

5 Year Member
Minnesota
Good luck drive safe :) Hope all goes well :)

slowpoke

5 Year Member
ok every thing went well , thinking im getting this RT from some one on craigslist there might be problems, but the RT is in good health , a bit shy right now ... we have named her sassy , because when slowpoke went up to her she slaped him and walked away ... so sassy it is ... this is the pic i got of her right before she dug in to the substrate ... im sure ill have more soon but i want her to get used to us and slowpoke before i bug her (dont want to get slaped lol) ....

slowpoke

5 Year Member
some more pictures , i had to give sassy her own food dish , slowpoke ran over and laid down on the food i put in there and wouldnt let her eat so i put another dish in there , any one else have there male do this with a female and male russians in the same habitat ....but these pictures show what he was doing ...

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
Cool! Looks like a good one. Be careful about keeping her with a male, though. Wouldn't be surprised if he starts courting her to the point of harassment, including biting her. I would be careful about housing them together, except for a fraction of the time so they can breed if they're old enough.

slowpoke

5 Year Member
GeoTerraTestudo said:
Cool! Looks like a good one. Be careful about keeping her with a male, though. Wouldn't be surprised if he starts courting her to the point of harassment, including biting her. I would be careful about housing them together, except for a fraction of the time so they can breed if they're old enough.

yea im thinking of how to devide the habitat with it a L shape i can go right down the center of it , the thing is he isnt really bugging her other than feeding times the rest of the time they sit on other sides of the habitat from each other...mybe just a temp wall for feeding time what do you think?

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
slowpoke said:
yea im thinking of how to devide the habitat with it a L shape i can go right down the center of it , the thing is he isnt really bugging her other than feeding times the rest of the time they sit on other sides of the habitat from each other...mybe just a temp wall for feeding time what do you think?

Probably only a matter of time till he starts biting her. That's how it was with our pair. They were fine for a couple weeks, but eventually the male started biting the female, so we had to separate them (private 55-gallon tub for each tortoise). Now the only time they see each other is when they are outside. And even so, their outdoor enclosure (our porch) is divided right down the middle, because he'll even make advances (head-bobbing) and bite her when they are outside sometimes, too.

Fascinating behavior, but it's not time for it yet. When they're older, I will let him court her so they can breed. But for now, neither one is really big enough or enough to mate, so it makes no sense to let my female get harassed and bitten for no reason.

IMO, watch them closely and get ready to separate them, because I suspect your male will bite the new female sooner or later. If it happens once or twice it's no big deal, but if it continues for a prolonged period, she could really get hurt, stressed out, and ill from it.

slowpoke

5 Year Member
GeoTerraTestudo said:
slowpoke said:

Probably only a matter of time till he starts biting her. That's how it was with our pair. They were fine for a couple weeks, but eventually the male started biting the female, so we had to separate them (private 55-gallon tub for each tortoise). Now the only time they see each other is when they are outside. And even so, their outdoor enclosure (our porch) is divided right down the middle, because he'll even make advances (head-bobbing) and bite her when they are outside sometimes, too.

Fascinating behavior, but it's not time for it yet. When they're older, I will let him court her so they can breed. But for now, neither one is really big enough or enough to mate, so it makes no sense to let my female get harassed and bitten for no reason.

IMO, watch them closely and get ready to separate them, because I suspect your male will bite the new female sooner or later. If it happens once or twice it's no big deal, but if it continues for a prolonged period, she could really get hurt, stressed out, and ill from it.

ok thanks ill keep an eye out for him doing that right now ill go ahead and split them then i have enough room i can split it down the center and they will each have 5 foot by 2 foot , eeww a new project lol

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
slowpoke said:
ok thanks ill keep an eye out for him doing that right now ill go ahead and split them then i have enough room i can split it down the center and they will each have 5 foot by 2 foot , eeww a new project lol

Sounds like a nice amount of space for each one. :)

Utah Lynn

5 Year Member
I have to keep mine separated. It's my female that is the brat. She likes to ram my male and tries to bite his legs. :(
You got a nice looking RT there.

slowpoke

5 Year Member
GeoTerraTestudo : yea its good size its almost half of my computer room , and im still biulding on to it

Utah Lynn : thanks i like how she looks like she has lipstick on , ill get a better pic of her face one of these days , right now i get close to her with the camera she hides ,

i think she figured out that the male likes to sleep in a bit longer than she does , so she is eating first then when he wakes up i put a fresh batch of food out and she goes back to digging her self in , im going to see how it goes before i separate them its just the food issue right now ...

Status
Not open for further replies.