Another Sulcata Enclosure (lots of pics!)

Menno

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
The Netherlands
Hi there,

Due to fighting I decided to separate my two little hatchlings. A month ago I started to construct a new 200x140cm (6.6 x 4.6ft) enclosure.
Some pictures for you of the construction process;

The design I made:

For material used is water resistant mdf.

This will be the humid area:

I wanted to give it a natural look. That's why I used styrofoam covered with tile cement. This is my custom made styrofoam cutter:

Homemade rocks;

Today I hope to finish the last things. More pictures will follow!

julietteq

5 Year Member
Amsterdam. Netherlands
wauw, thanks for posting pics, it is a beautiful enclosure and I Love the rocks ! Cannot wait to see it finished.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Great job. Love it and that you made your own styrofoam cutter. Be sure to update with pics when you get it filled and finished.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Great job! While I love the rocks, for me personally they create a fear. I have saw how well a tortoise can claw and rip up the foam while in a shipping box. My fear would be he would rip up a rock and then eat the white foam. White being something tortoises often can't seem to resist. I am interested to see how well this holds up after a few months of use. Like I said, I do like the rock look. Can't wait to see it all done. :)

tortoisetime565

Oklahoma
This is really cool! I lined my cage with plexiglass glass. It was very expensive. But when one turtle grows out of it I cause put another smaller one! xD

Menno

5 Year Member
The Netherlands
Thanks for all the comments, I will upload more pictures soon!

Jacqui said:
While I love the rocks, for me personally they create a fear. I have saw how well a tortoise can claw and rip up the foam while in a shipping box. My fear would be he would rip up a rock and then eat the white foam.

Hi Jacqui,

In order to avoid that the tortoises will rip up the foam, I covered the foam with several layers of cement. Now it is as hard as stone. Here are some pictures I have made during another project:

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Okay, so lots of layers not just a thin single one. Does tile cement hold up well? Never used the stuff so these are serious questions and please don't take offense. I always try to find the weakness in any design, even the ones I come up with. ;)

Menno

5 Year Member
The Netherlands
Never mind! I think it is a good thing if people are
thinking along. ;)

Yes, tile cement works well. Use the powder-version. This time I smeared six layers on it. The first layer was as thin as pancake batter. The other layers were thicker. You can even put sand on the last layer to give it a more natural look. There are several tutorials on the internet. (See this one: http://www.lizard-landscapes.com/reptile-terrarium.html )

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
This is very cool. Can't wait to see it in actual use.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
sticky note this one on top of the enclosure thread!
and Note that he says.. after they started fighting.. he had to separate them.....

Menno

5 Year Member
The Netherlands
The enclosure so far. I use special clay-sand for his substrate, so he can burrow holes. The whole right part near the rocks will be grass, so he don't get sand in his mouth while eating.

Clay-sand, it is a bit like loam.

Now I have to wait until the seeded grass comes up. When the UV light bulb arrives I can start testing. :D The next thing to do is finishing the humid area. More pictures will follow!

littleginsu

10 Year Member!
Sierra Vista, AZ
so awesome!!! I love the rocks! Did you have to build it on a pallet or something, like, how would you move it if you had to move it?!

Gtphale

5 Year Member
I made a rock wall for my Mbuna fish tank. It's amazing how easy it was even if you have no artistic ability like me. Oh and you enclosure looks great.

Menno

5 Year Member
The Netherlands
littleginsu said:
so awesome!!! I love the rocks! Did you have to build it on a pallet or something, like, how would you move it if you had to move it?!

Due to the strength of the tile cement I could easily move the pieces into the enclosure. :)

I'm so happy! I just received two packages with tortoise goodies :D.

On the first picture can you see a Raptor Solar UVB light blub. This HID-lamp has a high UVB output, which is very important for the tortoises. Since I live in the Netherlands they can only for 1-3 months a year walking outside. Solar Raptor test results can you see here: http://www.econlux.de/Documents/PDF/ECONLUX_Portfolio_RaptorStinger_EN-2012.pdf
(Left you can see the box of the ballast. This lamp operates only with a ballast!)

Food dishes:

This is a large bag of what we call 'Agrobs'. It is a bit like Mazuri, but with less proteïn so you can feed it more often.

Today I hope to finish the humid part of the enclosure. More pictures will follow! :D

julietteq

5 Year Member
Amsterdam. Netherlands
Ik zie net dat je uit nederland komt. Wij zitten nu tijdelijk met mijn 2 leo's in New York maar komen over 2 jaar terug. Waar heb je in hemelsnaam Sulcatas gekocht en waar woon je? Ik neem aan ergens met een giga tuin :)

Menno

5 Year Member
The Netherlands
julietteq said:
Ik zie net dat je uit nederland komt. Wij zitten nu tijdelijk met mijn 2 leo's in New York maar komen over 2 jaar terug. Waar heb je in hemelsnaam Sulcatas gekocht en waar woon je? Ik neem aan ergens met een giga tuin :)

Hi Julietteq,

I've sent you a PM ;)

ub3rsh00

Wow, that is really, really awesome looking. Great job! Love the styrofoam rocks idea! Whole enclosure looks very good.

argus333

5 Year Member
Looks good but seems like a lot of work for something he will out grow in a year? Maybe think a Russian or red foot to put in there.

Wow it's amazing xx Want to make me one haha joking ;) but you can if u want ;) x No but seriously it's amazing I don't know what to say xx how long did that all take you !!!?

From Chlöe Essex,England

Oh and ur design and the real thing look so alike !! Is so good

From Chlöe Essex,England

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Amazing enclosure! Looks like a labor of love for you. You will have hours of pleasure watching your tortoise move around.