Another thread about what's edible and what's not

Status
Not open for further replies.

PeanutbuttER

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Utah
Thanks for all your help and willingness to id these. I don't even know where to start with plant identification.

Here they are:
This one grows flat on the ground and seems like it can get to be a foot or two in diameter.
244s6m0.jpg

This is basil I believe
2me1tux.jpg

This is a vine that grows everywhere near here. It has little blue berries (not pictured, but I can get them on request).
2zqx2xj.jpg

This is a grass, but is this the edible type?
dlqh5t.jpg

and, is this the mallow that is edible?
absccz.jpg

PeanutbuttER

5 Year Member
Utah
No thoughts from anyone? On another recent thread they identified that first plant as purslane which is edible, though high in oxalic acid.

Anybody know about the rest?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The vine might be Virginia creeper. Its on most toxic lists, however my tortoises eat it and love it. The mallow is edible.

turtle crazy

5 Year Member
NM
emysemys said:
The vine might be Virginia creeper. Its on most toxic lists, however my tortoises eat it and love it. The mallow is edible.

YES I agree purslane, basil , and Virginia Creeper. I dont know the variety of the grass.

Half Decaf

5 Year Member
That first plant, purslane, has been a huge nuisance at my Tempe home this year. This is the first year I have really noticed it, but it has appeared everywhere. It is very difficult to remove/weed - it breaks at the soil when pulled, unless the soil is heavily soaked, then it can be successfully removed with roots. I tried spraying it with Roundup in my front yard with some effectiveness. The stuff dies back but doesn't quite go away. Purslane pulled from the soil and laid on concrete remains green and healthy looking for a few weeks - it simply refuses to die. This is one scary weed. I've watched my SDT's eat a little of it, but they don't appear to really enjoy it, so I've been removing it from their compound.

PeanutbuttER

5 Year Member
Utah
I had no idea that the purslane was such a problem. Here it doesn't grow very thick and it seems to grows thickest in the garden area, but I just pull it out after I water and it just comes right out.

My torts seem to always run for it when they're outside, but they only eat a little bit then won't eat any more. However, they keep going back...

Status
Not open for further replies.