Anouk is finally here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
WI
(I wrote this this afternoon, like at 4:30, but somehow it didn't post. So I reposted it, which is why it doesn't make sense that she would be eating at 7 oclock)

Anouk arrived this morning, just before 10 today. We had kind of a rough start, out of the box, as UPS surprised Danny and myself, by over-nighting her in Philadelphia instead of in Louisville, as we had planned. She was pretty cold out of the box because of such a drastic change in weather, but after being on a hot water bottle, and near a heater for 20 mins, she was acting more like a little tortoise should.

I soaked her twice today, once in straight water, once in baby food (squash) and water, and though I didn't see any drinking going on, she still seemed to enjoy her baths.

Once in her new home, she did a short once over of her enclosure, ignored the dinner plate I had made up and promptly bedded down under the warm aspen for a nap. I woke her up and tried to get her to eat again, by setting her by the dish, but she just walked away, and burrowed again.

Soo I woke her up again, and added some fresh spring mix, a shaving of orange pepper and a slice of strawberry (I was desperate for her to take a bite of something) and after being left alone for a few minutes.......she ATE! I was so excited. I took videos. If I can figure out how to upload one, I will definitely post it. She nibbled the berry, and ate a bit of spring mix. And then, she went and chilled out under one of her plants, and now, she's enjoying a bit of cuttlebone!

Its nice to see someone eating it for a change. Nigel just walks over his, and I have had to throw two away because he seems to like to poop on them too.

She seems to be settling in extraordinarily well...exploring and sniffing, and attempting to taste things. I am just so THRILLED. I couldn't be happier with her, even though that rocky start this morning did almost give me a massive heart attack.

Here's some pictures:

second soak of the day
ANOUKISHOME045.jpg

on my boy friend, Reid's palm
ANOUKISHOME049.jpg

exploring the grass, which she immediately tried to burrow under and out of, once she couldn't figure how to turn around, its since been removed, because I didn't want her to get stuck. lol guess we know how that experiment turned out!
ANOUKISHOME057.jpg

and here's one of her just being cute (same size as the temp gauge! :D)
ANOUKISHOME060.jpg

Right now, she's bedded down, I think for the night. Her light will go off soon. Its so cute, she will go under the aspen completely, and then keep "burrowing" until she gets comfortable. I am going to upload more pics. Over the course of today, she has picked out a favorite plant, and she looks so cute by it.....

bettinge

5 Year Member
Upstate NY
Glad all ended well with the shipping slip up. Scary! Its always nice to get that box in your hand and see a live critter come out. Cute little guy.

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
Here's some more:

long shot, can you see her? I have been "losing" her all day, and having to run my fingers through aspen just to find her! She's like a pingpong ball! So little. I was digging around for a couple minutes before I spotted her under here the first time. Then she went back again, so I grabbed the camera! I feel like a new mommy. I have taken maybe 6 videos, and like 60 pictures of her already!

Noushka024.jpg

:D. Here's a closeup:

Noushka023.jpg

I'm just happy she uses something that I put in there for her! The clay pot came out today. She doesn't seem to process the thought "go around" very well, and she was trying to climb over it (maybe just for fun :p ) for like 5 minutes. I didn't want her to flip herself. So that left too!

M

Maggie Cummings

I am so glad she arrived safe...now if you don't make her paranoid from all the filming and continually waking her up she might be fine! She's tired from all the stress of traveling and arriving in a new house and all that...so leave her sleep for a while!
Just teasing you, I am glad you finally got her, and yes, she is beautiful!!!:p
It is SO much fun to get a new baby isn't it!!!

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
It is! And you are so right, I had to slap my own hands so I wouldn't go and dig her up again before I turned the lights off...I was like, "one more time, just to make sure she's ok" but I went and handled the gecko instead. let her get some sleep!

Its funny, I feel like she has been watching me, watch her, and that she is at her cutest when she knows that I'm not looking :D

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
I'm so glad she's doing well :D

I'm just glad this learning curve had a happy ending. No more shipping until my temperatures are good, that way I know everyone's will be good. Thats going to be the one thing I miss, with DHL I knew exactly where they were going to spend the night. It seems with UPS they can spend the night anywhere and they can't tell you for certain where that is. It's the same way with Fedex.

Great pictures Meg :D She looks like she's settling in just fine.

Danny

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
We've all been waiting for you to be able to fill your tortoise habitat, and I know you've been really anxious to get Anouk. I'm so happy that he has arrived safely and seems to like his new home.

Yvonne

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
Meg she is adorable and so small. I bet it scared you half to death this morning. Thank goodness you knew what to do right away. She's lucky to have you. Good luck raising her. Can't wait to see the video's. Candy

Stazz

5 Year Member
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
YAY !!!! I am so excited for you, Anouk is gorgeous !!! SO tiny !!! What a little nunu ! I love the close up pic of her hiding under the leaf of the plant :D

Status
Not open for further replies.