ANTS and the Outdoor Enclosure Invasion! Now premiering!

Future4Animals

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Phoenix, AZ
Hopefully that got you attention. Thanks for taking a look here are my dilemma. I have to side by side enclosures that have ants crawling through them and snacking on my tortoises' meals. Plus, there are like 3 different types of ants making their way in for the food. I have 16 inch wood sides like you find in a raised bed setup on two sides and 6 foot tall cinder block wall on the other two sides. I have been avoiding spraying any type of ant/bug spray anywhere near the enclosures. Any natural solutions or non-natural solutions that people could recommend?

Megatron's Mom

North Little Rock, Arkansas
Regular ants I don't worry about. But you can try food grade diatomaceous earth. Sprinkle it around the outside perimeter of to enclosures. You can also move the food to a different spot. It will work for a bit until they find it again.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hopefully that got you attention. Thanks for taking a look here are my dilemma. I have to side by side enclosures that have ants crawling through them and snacking on my tortoises' meals. Plus, there are like 3 different types of ants making their way in for the food. I have 16 inch wood sides like you find in a raised bed setup on two sides and 6 foot tall cinder block wall on the other two sides. I have been avoiding spraying any type of ant/bug spray anywhere near the enclosures. Any natural solutions or non-natural solutions that people could recommend?
I have two methods that work. You should employ both.

1. Terro ant baits. These are just sugar water and boric acid. Relatively safe. I place them where the tortoises can't get to them. You have to let the ants swarm them and carry the good stuff back to the colony. They work great in our dry climate because the ants want the water.
2. Amdro ant granules. These are a toxic pesticide, so don't let your tortoise have direct access to them. Don't follow the directions on the package that tell you to scatter it every where. That doesn't work. Instead pour a little pile of it right in to the entrance to any ant hill you can find anywhere on or near your whole property, This one works great on the big and small red ants, and the big black ants too. If the ant hill in inside your enclosure, pour the granules on and then use a metal basket, or something like that, and some tent stakes to cover it and prevent your tortoise from reaching the granules. Within and hour or two, the ants will carry the product underground to the colony. Large colonies will mostly die off, but sometimes you will see a small resurgence about 3 or 4 feet away after a few days. Hit 'em again, and there won't be a third coming.

Megatron's Mom is awesome and I love her, but I've tried diatomaceous earth and it does absolutely nothing to the ants here. Repeated applications over weeks did nothing. Also, you should be worried about "regular" ants. Those will kill a resting tortoise at night, just as well as any other ant. I have an empty Russian tortoise shell to prove it.