Ants in tortoise pen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hauntmom

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Mesa, AZ
Does anyone know how to kill ants when they are in with my sullys? There is a big ant hill in there and I want them gone.

Sent from my SGH-T769 using TortForum mobile app

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Are these black ants? They are the only ones I have experience with.

I use food grade DE (diatomaceous earth). Its powder like. Technically is fossilized white algae or plankton or something but its microscopic and slices up bugs while being organic and completely safe for people and "non bug" pets like a tortoise :)
I use it every summer. Sprinkle it on the ant hill or along the ant trails and they leave.

Bought a 50lb bag of it for like $18 at a local feed store.

Heather
Sent from my Android TFO app

Hauntmom

5 Year Member
Mesa, AZ
They are black ants. I have DE but I was worried about the torts getting it in their eyes.

CheechChong

5 Year Member
I use boiling water with a little white vinegar to get rid of fire ants. I may take more than one application but its safe and pretty effective. It will leave a brown patch if there is grass but it should come back.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Re: RE: Ants in tortoise pen

Hauntmom said:
They are black ants. I have DE but I was worried about the torts getting it in their eyes.

I would not worry about this. I have lots of DE out right now in the tort pens and yard.
If its safe enough for us to eat it won't hurt their eyes.

Heather
Sent from my Android TFO app

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
My lawn seems to be one large black ant nest at times. I ignore them... there is no way I could get rid of them. They cause nuisance to me when they get in the house; that is all.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Please make sure to get food grade DE and not the pool type....I am sure you already know that but every time I see DE in a conversation I am compelled to repeat that.....:p:p Apology for my OCD ....

Status
Not open for further replies.