Ants

Status
Not open for further replies.

Urtle

5 Year Member
Does anyone know if ants can potentially be harmful to my big guy? He is around 25 pounds. I am concerned because today while watering his enclosure I noticed him walk over a swarm of ants and within a second he was covered, he started scratching his face and all but there was wayy too many. Even at one point when I got near again within a second my leg was covered by at least 100 ants. I immediately washed the ants off him and myself, but now I am concerned.

I am not sure but I think these ants have a home underneath the ground. How do I get rid of them without harming the big guy using chemicals?

Thanks guys

shellysmom

10 Year Member!
There was another thread about this recently. I don't have the link though, but the consensus here seems to be using Diatomacious Earth or boiling water. The boiling water will kill any grass it touches though, so be prepared for that.

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
Diamataceous earth is what I use and it works like magic. The ants get it on their body and carry it to the nest too. It destroys their outer shell and kills them and is nontoxic to pets.

Urtle

5 Year Member
shellysmom said:
There was another thread about this recently. I don't have the link though, but the consensus here seems to be using Diatomacious Earth or boiling water. The boiling water will kill any grass it touches though, so be prepared for that.

Boiling water sounds like a plan. I will give it a shot.

Urtle

5 Year Member
Im most certain the water I splashed made the come up to the surface but I noticed as soon as the area dried 80% of them disappeared. I will try that product out, it seems like it could come in handy for the future.

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
Just curious. I've seen this a lot, and I don't know. Do ants and sulcatas go hand in hand. Cause I notice I have more now that I've gotten my girl..

LuckysGirl007

5 Year Member
Surprise, AZ
mainey34 said:
Just curious. I've seen this a lot, and I don't know. Do ants and sulcatas go hand in hand. Cause I notice I have more now that I've gotten my girl..

Hmmm! Never thought of that but that's when I noticed our ant problem too. I just thought it was because I was outside a lot more after they moved outside.

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Urtle said:
Im most certain the water I splashed made the come up to the surface but I noticed as soon as the area dried 80% of them disappeared. I will try that product out, it seems like it could come in handy for the future.

Forgot to mention, be sure it always says "food grade" on the label.

Urtle

5 Year Member
DesertGrandma said:

Will do. Im gonna call the local pet stores and see if they have it tomorrow.

Xander

5 Year Member
Dont know how safe it would be to put directly in the incloser but coffee grounds and quick oats works wonders on killing ants. Also putting a baby powder boarder around the incloser will stop ants dead in there tracks, they wont cross it for some reason. these methods wont hurt your grass at all.

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
Urtle said:
DesertGrandma said:

Will do. Im gonna call the local pet stores and see if they have it tomorrow.

Try a feed store too. I use it as well and it works great!

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
The ants will attack then disappear when sprayed with water, but it will only relocate somewhere else (not far away). Your goal would be to get them out of the tort's pen. Boiling water may get them to move further away, but using Diatomacious Earth should get rid of them once and for all. I have no pity for red ants that bit my babies!

Urtle said:

LuckysGirl007

5 Year Member
Surprise, AZ
Stupid dumb ants been biting up my feet! Nothing gave me relief from the itching until I went to my doctor and got a prescription strength cream! I'm glad they haven't gotten my babies yet! No sympathy from me!

Urtle

5 Year Member
Ya.. umm suddenly im not liking ants very much. I got so angry, my tortoise was so helpless against these tiny creatures, good thing I caught it. I will feel so much better once I get rid of them for good.

Status
Not open for further replies.