Ants

TobyAndMarissa

Location (City and/or State)
Grafton, WI
I have been having problems with ants near toby's box and in my room. They keep coming back and I'm worried they will harm him. Should I be worried about the house ants and if so what should I do about it?

Thanks, M&T

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I have been having problems with ants near toby's box and in my room. They keep coming back and I'm worried they will harm him. Should I be worried about the house ants and if so what should I do about it?

Thanks, M&T

What type of ants? you can spread FOOD GRADE diatomaceous earth around the enclosure perimeter as well as in the substrate directly....it is safe for you and tort and any other animals in the event they ingest it.....but it will lose its effectiveness it wet...so outside of the perimeter is likely the best method...it will slice through the exterior of the ant and cause rapid dehydration...but is chemical free...but please DO NOT USE THE POOL TYPE OF diatomaceous earth...that will kill the tort as well as cause harm to you for breathing....FOOD GRADE can be purchased on line as well as some health food stores...it is beneficial to kill parasites in the body as well...so FOOD GRADE please :)

daniellenc

Maryland
Do regular house ants bite torts? We get them every spring and while I have a closed chamber I’ve always wondered.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Do regular house ants bite torts? We get them every spring and while I have a closed chamber I’ve always wondered.

It depends on the exact species of ant. Where I am in the UK, none of my local species has ever troubled Joe.

However, if I lived in an area with, say, wood ants then I would be concerned.

What you think of as a house ant will likely be a different species to what anyone else has out of your area.

In general, I’d say be cautious. A single or a few ants in your house may not be a problem, but I’d deal with them quickly for the sake of my kitchen provisions as well as my tort!