Any members 65+ willing to talk to me about their lovely pets?

wonkey78

Location (City and/or State)
Oberrieden
Hi everyone,

I'm a Master's student (in my 40s!) doing a study on how non-traditional animals can contribute to well-being and I am looking for people 65+ who own any type of pet other than a dog or a cat. Most research on how pets benefit our lives focus only the two most common pets and I wanted to look at how other creatures can also be great companions. Most research also focuses on people in their 20s and that's why I wanted to speak with older people.

If you, or anyone you know qualifies and would be willing to have a chat with me about your tortoises (about 45 mins online) please send me a message.

Thank you!

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I'm old. 68 years old. But as far as doing an online chat nope. Sorry. I'm not computer literate. I have a house bunny and a tortoise. It's not that I don't like cats or dogs. I even have the main care of my brothers cat and I love him. But I would not be as happy without my tortoise or bunny. They fill a need that keeps my mind active. Trying to outthink them is just plain fun ? but as Maggie thinks most of the time.?

wonkey78

Oberrieden
Yay I'm too young for something.
:) it's been hard to find peopel
I'm old. 68 years old. But as far as doing an online chat nope. Sorry. I'm not computer literate. I have a house bunny and a tortoise. It's not that I don't like cats or dogs. I even have the main care of my brothers cat and I love him. But I would not be as happy without my tortoise or bunny. They fill a need that keeps my mind active. Trying to outthink them is just plain fun ? but as Maggie thinks most of the time.?
Thank you Cathie, are you sure I can't persuade you? It could be over the phone (with skype or whatsapp, anything like that) or I could send you a link. You're just the woman I'm looking for !

wonkey78

Oberrieden

Thank you Cathie, are you sure I can't persuade you? It could be over the phone (with skype or whatsapp, anything like that) or I could send you a link. You're just the woman I'm looking for !
I'm also Cathy! You know, 68 year old ladies with tortoises and bunnys are not easy to track down. :)

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster

I think there's a lot of people here that are what you're looking for. But... what is your research for and for who? Another problem is like I said I'm not computer literate. I also think that the type of person it takes to actually take care of the type of animals we are talking about are different in the first place. For instance, my mother was scared to death of my rabbits. She would say "but he has big teeth and I'm afraid he'll bite me". My answer would be don't let him ?. So one of my answers to your research is yes they are really fun and neat pets and that very much includes tortoises. They just aren't for everyone. It takes a lot of dedication, guess work and continual education. That doesn't mean that people that don't have an interest are less. I do it because there's something about the way they move, the things they do, their personalities that really fasinates me. ?

Reactions: Ink

wonkey78

Oberrieden
I think there's a lot of people here that are what you're looking for. But... what is your research for and for who? Another problem is like I said I'm not computer literate. I also think that the type of person it takes to actually take care of the type of animals we are talking about are different in the first place. For instance, my mother was scared to death of my rabbits. She would say "but he has big teeth and I'm afraid he'll bite me". My answer would be don't let him ?. So one of my answers to your research is yes they are really fun and neat pets and that very much includes tortoises. They just aren't for everyone. It takes a lot of dedication, guess work and continual education. That doesn't mean that people that don't have an interest are less. I do it because there's something about the way they move, the things they do, their personalities that really fasinates me. ?
? i did not know rabbits could bite me. I do know some people who thought about getting unusual pets but then changed their minds because they were so overwhelmed by all the new information and some people want the animals to adjust to them instead of the other way around. The research is only for my own course requirements. I started a Master's course online during the lockdown. I will write a thesis based on the interviews and submit that to my university and that will be the end of the course. The interview is to learn about what it's like to have an unusual pet and how you interact and what they add to your life. I would really love to talk with you, it could be just over the phone but I don't want to pressure you and I appreciate the messages here very much. If you would be willing to chat with me you can let me know or feel free to ask any other questions.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
? i did not know rabbits could bite me. I do know some people who thought about getting unusual pets but then changed their minds because they were so overwhelmed by all the new information and some people want the animals to adjust to them instead of the other way around. The research is only for my own course requirements. I started a Master's course online during the lockdown. I will write a thesis based on the interviews and submit that to my university and that will be the end of the course. The interview is to learn about what it's like to have an unusual pet and how you interact and what they add to your life. I would really love to talk with you, it could be just over the phone but I don't want to pressure you and I appreciate the messages here very much. If you would be willing to chat with me you can let me know or feel free to ask any other questions.
What if you two did a PM chat here on the forum. Its private, just the two of you and you both already know how to use the forum.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
What if you two did a PM chat here on the forum. Its private, just the two of you and you both already know how to use the forum.
Yes and maybe others would feel comfortable about answering questions also. I like the idea of a thesis on exotic pets and the elderly. They actually do keep a person on their toes and that's a good thing ?

wonkey78

Oberrieden
Hi everyone,

I'm a Master's student (in my 40s!) doing a study on how non-traditional animals can contribute to well-being and I am looking for people 65+ who own any type of pet other than a dog or a cat. Most research on how pets benefit our lives focus only the two most common pets and I wanted to look at how other creatures can also be great companions. Most research also focuses on people in their 20s and that's why I wanted to speak with older people.

If you, or anyone you know qualifies and would be willing to have a chat with me about your tortoises (about 45 mins online) please send me a message.

Thank you!
Hello again everyone, I just want to add to this that I spoke with the university and I also can do the interview via email, going over and back with questions. If that would be more comfortable for anyone?

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
"boomers trying to use tech"...............geez guys, get a kid involved!

It's okay, I can make fun, I'm not just a critic, I'm also a member...................course not quite as OLD a member as some.......

You are very kind Cathy, and patient.....

To the OP, interestingly, you will likely come to the conclusion after you review your data sets, that pet owners are happier people and pet owners of any age fare better if they lose a spouse, regardless of the type of pet owned. If you go deeper into the weeds, the numbers do some funny things above 66 in relationship to pet owners & spousal loss occurring together. So many folks become despondent and their life force fades quite quickly upon losing their loved one yet those with pets do markedly better, again regardless of the type of pet owned.

Hopefully you will post your actual results....I would be interested in reading them.

Good luck with your study/thesis ....

jeff

wonkey78

Oberrieden
"boomers trying to use tech"...............geez guys, get a kid involved!

It's okay, I can make fun, I'm not just a critic, I'm also a member...................course not quite as OLD a member as some.......

You are very kind Cathy, and patient.....

To the OP, interestingly, you will likely come to the conclusion after you review your data sets, that pet owners are happier people and pet owners of any age fare better if they lose a spouse, regardless of the type of pet owned. If you go deeper into the weeds, the numbers do some funny things above 66 in relationship to pet owners & spousal loss occurring together. So many folks become despondent and their life force fades quite quickly upon losing their loved one yet those with pets do markedly better, again regardless of the type of pet owned.

Hopefully you will post your actual results....I would be interested in reading them.

Good luck with your study/thesis ....

jeff
Thank you Jeff :) i appreciate the support and those are all interesting findings.