Pets in public

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
Problem is that the definition of "well-behaved" can vary quite a bit among people. I think our three dogs are well behaved, but Tom, being a professional trainer, might very well disagree after spending a few minutes with them!
A tortoise or turtle in a box or a goldfish in a bag is also a completely different situation than a dog or cat or bird being in a restaurant.
Shirts are required too-how would everyone feel if a shirtless 300 lb. guy covered with hair and sweating sat next to them for dinner?
What about someone smoking next to you while you're eating?

zesty_17

5 Year Member
Florida
i have been out a lot with my snake around my neck, and hardly anyone ever notices. Its sad that people are not very observant, so if you dont draw that much attention to yourself, you probably wont get that much in return. It was funny one time that a guy did notice Isis, i was standing in line with a friend waiting to get inside a building & the guy behind me reached out and touched her. he jumped back so quick! It was pretty funny, he said he thought she was just a fake one-lol, i bet he doesn't go around touching strangers anymore. (she's harmless btw, just hangs out, albino texas black rat snake).

AnthonyC

5 Year Member
New York
"how would everyone feel if a shirtless 300 lb. guy covered with hair and sweating sat next to them for dinner? "-- Gary, I don't know how I would feel about that, but I sure know what I would say!
"JACQUI PLEASE! THIS IS A FAMILY RESTAURANT!" :D:D:D:D

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
GBtortoises said:
Problem is that the definition of "well-behaved" can vary quite a bit among people. I think our three dogs are well behaved, but Tom, being a professional trainer, might very well disagree after spending a few minutes with them!
A tortoise or turtle in a box or a goldfish in a bag is also a completely different situation than a dog or cat or bird being in a restaurant.
Shirts are required too-how would everyone feel if a shirtless 300 lb. guy covered with hair and sweating sat next to them for dinner?
What about someone smoking next to you while you're eating?

I wouldn't have a shirtless 300lb. dude at my dinner table at home, but I do have my dogs around my dinner table at home.

That's the big disconnect I see here. Many people have their own cats and dogs living and shedding hair in their homes and in and around the kitchen and dining areas, but for some reason the thought of dog laying under or near my table at a restaurant is absolutely repulsive to some of the same people.

Due to my line of work I deal with this issue almost daily. Sometimes on a shoot day on location, they serve meals on somebody's front lawn. Many of the crew do not like the idea of the dog resting in his crate and would like to see him out and with me. Sometimes I decide to bring the dog to lunch with me. I'll have him lay down quietly on the outskirts of the lunch tables while I eat. Some people love this and others do not. I just find it interesting because while we eat there will frequently be people out walking their dogs and passing by just a few feet away on the sidewalk, and these dogs draw no response from the people who don't like MY dog in the lunch area.

I find this thread interesting too. There is no right or wrong, but people's preferences on this subject are interesting to me.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
Tom-I think we have to keep in mind that not everyone out there is an animal lover and even some animal lovers that I know aren't crazy about dogs. Some people also have a legitimate fear of them. I personally love dogs to death, have never not had at least one and it's usually two or three. I'll never be without one. Our dogs at home are underfoot while we're at the table eating, they don't beg, they don't sit and stare at us, they just lay under the table hoping someone drops something! But even that may offend some people. I respect that. Maybe for the same reason that I absolutely can't stand smoking in a restaurant. Thankfully, here in New York State that is no longer a problem. But that's the point I'm trying to make: We all have different tolerance levels for different things. Probably if we could look at the root of some of the reasoning that people have for their feelings we'd discover how ridiculous most of it is. I know that the root of the no animals in food establishments was based on health concerns. You have to wonder, was there really that many animals in food places that it drew enough attention to pass a law against it? I think in a lot of cases, I'd be much more worried about what is going on in the kitchen!

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
was it too hot to leave them in the car while you ordered for 10 minutes> ? or use the drive thru?>
I dont see why you took them inside at all..
but if kept in thier container and not taken out and held etc.. i dont see a problem.. the dogs in their contained stroller.. i dont see aproblem..
others might...

exoticsdr

5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Southeast Texas
I've taken my baby kangaroos into many establishments, in their travel pouch, and very rarely had anyone even notice.....how did anyone even notice two little torts in a container, unless they weren't being kept hidden?

Laura said:
was it too hot to leave them in the car while you ordered for 10 minutes> ? or use the drive thru?>
but if kept in thier container and not taken out and held etc.. i dont see a problem.. the dogs in their contained stroller.. i dont see aproblem..
others might...

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
exoticsdr said:
I've taken my baby kangaroos into many establishments, in their travel pouch, and very rarely had anyone even notice.....how did anyone even notice two little torts in a container, unless they weren't being kept hidden?

Laura said:
others might...

Plus, w/ baby kangaroos, you have the "Awwww...too cute!" factor, although I'd think most would feel the same way about tortoises, as well.

EKLC

5 Year Member
Even if someone brought their untrained tiger into a restaurant, part of me would think it was awesome while being mauled to death

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
EKLC said:
Even if someone brought their untrained tiger into a restaurant, part of me would think it was awesome while being mauled to death

Damn! That's just how I feel too.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Not me. I would be training that tiger some darn manners for them. He'd be a well behaved tiger when I got through with him! :)

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
EKLC said:
Just slather some BBQ sauce on yourself.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
EKLC said:

You, fellow tort-fan, are the very definition of "good sport"! :p

Tom said:
Not me. I would be training that tiger some darn manners for them. He'd be a well behaved tiger when I got through with him! :)

You are much man, Hondo! ;)

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
Not a good idea to bring animals into establishments where food is served. I once brought my baby redfoot tortoise into a grocery store, but I asked the manager for permission first, did not take my tortoise out of her carrier, and made the trip real quick (I got her some greens). That is the only time I have ever brought a pet into a grocery store, and I have never brought one into a restaurant. I have brought food from restaurants for my box turtles, but the boxies were at home.

Status
Not open for further replies.