Pets in public

Status
Not open for further replies.

lizbeth490

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Pembroke Pines
A few weeks ago, my step son and I went to chick-fil-a for lunch. We were on the way to my moms house for a visit and tortoise play date. So of course I am not going to leave Rex and Tiki in the car while I go in so I brought them inside with me in there travel container. I thought nothing of it, however everyone was staring at me and making comments about how it was "so disgusting" to have "those disgusting turtles" in the "restaurant". I work at Olive Garden and see all kinds of crazy stuff people do, the one that killed me the most?? Someone bringing there DOG into a real restaurant. I mean really??? I love my dogs to death and wish I could take them out but unfortunately I don't feel inside a restaurant is an appropriate place for one. And when asked to leave these people got all offended and said this was there baby and how dare we ask them to leave? WTF?!?! So its ok for people to bring dogs into malls and grocery stores and restaurant but its not ok to have my 6week old sulcatas in an enclosed carring tub for 10minutes while I order? UGHHH I hate people! lol

Rant over :D haha I feel much better

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I hope you don't take offense, but honestly I don't want any animals in the restaurant when I am eating.

I also love my animals but I don't treat my dog like a baby.

lizbeth490

5 Year Member
Pembroke Pines
dmmj said:
I hope you don't take offense, but honestly I don't want any animals in the restaurant when I am eating.

I also love my animals but I don't treat my dog like a baby.

none taken :]

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
Ridiculous! Your tortoises are harmless! The world is definitely divided into animal people and non-animal people. Just today I was having lunch with a friend, and he kept rolling his eyes whenever I said something about my turts/torts. Then he proceeded to tell me about how his wife is not supportive of an activity he is passionate about - that she makes fun of him ... etc. and it makes him feel bad. I explained he was doing the same thing to me! He just shrugged and said, "OK, Crazy Turtle Lady!" Some people just don't get it - his hobbies are important but mine is "crazy!"

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Boy are we all in the same boat here...

Here in CA there are health department laws that prevent all animals, except service animals, from entering any public place where food is served. The exception is some outdoor sidewalk cafes, but even that is questionable as sometime the "authorities" shut those down too. Personally your torts would not have bothered me, but I do understand other people's reaction. The dog in the Olive Garden would not have bothered me either though... When I am training service dogs, I regularly take them into restaurants and grocery stores too. With their appropriate vest on, of course.

lizbeth490

5 Year Member
Pembroke Pines
Tom said:
Boy are we all in the same boat here...

Here in CA there are health department laws that prevent all animals, except service animals, from entering any public place where food is served. The exception is some outdoor sidewalk cafes, but even that is questionable as sometime the "authorities" shut those down too. Personally your torts would not have bothered me, but I do understand other people's reaction. The dog in the Olive Garden would not have bothered me either though... When I am training service dogs, I regularly take them into restaurants and grocery stores too. With their appropriate vest on, of course.

I feel like service animals are definately an exception, I mean I don't love the thought of there fur in my food but atleast they have a purpose for being there. On the other hand a dog in a stroller....c'mon! lol

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I just don't see a well behaved dog in a restaurant as any different than one of my dogs in the kitchen or dining room of my home every night. It is a rare meal that I eat while not in the presence of at least ONE dog, if not several. :)

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
"I hope you don't take offense, but honestly I don't want any animals in the restaurant when I am eating."--Ditto!

I thought it was against Federal law for live animals to be in any establishment that sells packaged or prepared foods? The exception being service animals and animals intended as food (which also have restrictions).

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
I can see a dog in a restaurant as a problem because of dog hair. 6 Week old torts in a container I see no problem with unless you were handeling them.

zesty_17

5 Year Member
Florida
i have brought many animals into restaurants when traveling. It is against the law in florida to leave your animal in a locked car-even if the air is running. I haven't ever caught crap for this, but if i did.. i would probably return the criticism with a question, "How do you know this isn't my anxiety turtle? or service animal? I appreciate your concern, but my animals is contained and I ask that you respect my right to privacy." As an employee that sees a lot of service animals, we are not allowed to ask someone why they have such animal, and they are allowed anywhere except places in which they could come in direct contact with our animals-for example a dog in the aviary, etc.

exoticsdr

5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Southeast Texas
I would much rather see a well behaved dog in an eating establishment than some of the kids that parents bring and let run-amuck. As for the different attitude for service animals, why would they not bother you? afterall, is being a service animal make the animal shed less hair or does the hair from a service animal not bother you (you, being those that are offended). Personally, as long as the animal (this includes children) is not being disruptive and I can enjoy my meal, I don't care if there is a 600# Aldabra tort sitting in a booth next to a former police officer in the seat next to me.....actually, I would probably buy both of their meals.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
exoticsdr said:
I would much rather see a well behaved dog in an eating establishment than some of the kids that parents bring and let run-amuck. As for the different attitude for service animals, why would they not bother you? afterall, is being a service animal make the animal shed less hair or does the hair from a service animal not bother you (you, being those that are offended). Personally, as long as the animal (this includes children) is not being disruptive and I can enjoy my meal, I don't care if there is a 600# Aldabra tort sitting in a booth next to a former police officer in the seat next to me.....actually, I would probably buy both of their meals.

Absolute agreement w/ this entire post! I, too, prefer seeing well-behaved beasts over badly-behaved children. :cool:

A restaurant I used to work at had one customer who ate out on the patio and always had her macaque monkey, Max, with her...that beast had the most perfectly delicate manners I've ever seen, including wiping it's lips after every bite. And he always hand-carried my tip to my jar, looking very solemn and serious about it. ;)

Suggestion to those who find the need to carry a tortoise inside a restaurant: Wear dark glasses and if confronted about it, loudly say "They sold me a seeing eye tortoise? That must be why it takes so long to cross the street!" :D

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I'd buy their meals for them and then sit and watch him try to get a 600 pound tortoise back outside and into his car. :D

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
In an ideal world people would not be concerned....I would not care if an animal of any kind could sit politely in a restaurant or fast food place....I would however...give athe quick smack to any hand, paw, foot or flipper that came across my plate...that being my personal space and all...lol.:p:p

Morty the Torty

5 Year Member
Tom said:
I just don't see a well behaved dog in a restaurant as any different than one of my dogs in the kitchen or dining room of my home every night. It is a rare meal that I eat while not in the presence of at least ONE dog, if not several. :)

I agree with you Tom:)

Utah Lynn

5 Year Member
Tom said:
I agree here.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
I think animals do not belong in restaurants, nor many of the other public places people take them.

zesty_17

5 Year Member
Florida
exoticsdr said:

I would LOVE to see a 600lb Aldabra in a booth!!

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
exoticsdr said:

I agree with your post 100 %. I go shopping in the mall with these babies, and always stop for a cup of coffee and no one seems to take offense. They are more behaved then some children I see there.
Scan0019.jpg

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
OMG Terry...that has to be the funniest (and cool) thing have seen in along time.....hmmmm I think my old man CDT would fit in there perfectly.....I think you are onto a new tortoise buggy.....lol :D

Status
Not open for further replies.