Lifestyle changes

lisa127

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
NE Ohio
It is a possibility that there will be some lifestyle changes in the foreseeable future that will force me to reduce the amount of reptiles in my home. I love my reptiles, both box turtles and lizards. I belong to many reptile forums and with the exception of boxie/tortoise people most herp keepers buy/sell/trade continuously. That is NOT what I want for my animals should I need to rehome. How or where would I find people who think of reptiles as pets and not objects to be bought, sold, and traded? I just don't know how to go about this and be comfortable with it.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
You will just have to "interview" people until you find ones that you are comfortable with. Usually if you stipulate the sort of sentiment that you just explained in your ads, it will scare off the people who like to do the buying and selling.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I agree, interview folks, ask others who might know them, check out their track records. These are special "family" members to you and as such you and only you can decide who gets them. Take your time and follow your mind and your heart. With luck this will not be a possibility that you will have to deal with.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
Thank you for your input. I hope it doesn't come to it. I will definitely keep a couple because I have kept reptiles most of my adult life and I know I won't be happy with all of them gone. But I stand in my reptile room looking at them thinking, "how would I choose?". I guess it would come down to who I could adequately provide for in the situation I may be in. I do plan on taking my time with these decisions.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
No you will not be happy with them all gone . I gave away all my lizards and snakes . The only pet I had was a dog . I felt empty . Then the guy I gave my oldest ball python to called me out of the blue to give him back . I've had this guy 16/17 years and I kicked my self in the butt for the three months he was gone . As for the babies I miss them but Alien was my first ball python . I will never give him up again .

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
Are you looking for permant home? Or like a foster home? I can foster or je box turtles, tortoises I pretty much only keep red foot and mt tortoises so not much help there. Hopefully tho you can keep them, if not fostering is a good option.

Kyle

harris

10 Year Member!
Ohio
That's too bad. I've had to do that once, many years ago, and it wasn't easy.