Any newer updates on oxalates in greens?

StubbyTheTortoise

Location (City and/or State)
Manila, Philippines
Good day! Here in the PH, we have a lot of Saluyot (Jute leaves, Jute Mallow, Nalta Jute). Aside from Hibiscus leaves, Moringa Leaves, a bit of water spinach, bits and pieces of timothy hay, and Reptile King Ultima pellets, jute leaves are a staple in my sulcata tortoise's diet. With all that, I've read everything about oxalates, and cannot find any new research about it, and how harmful greens with some oxalates can be.
In the Tortoise Table, it is said that younger leaves of jute have lower content of oxalates, but I don't really know if jute leaves are okay to be a staple food if my baby sulcata does not consume hay yet.

Would like to ask for help on this.

Last edited:

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
🤔. Never heard of it used as tortoise food. I know that a variety of suitable food is the way to go, particularly raising babies. Oxalates are found in lots of stuff, so feeding one item every day that's loaded with it can't be good.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Ditto what Tammy said. A tortoise diet should consist of many different items, not just one. Grass or hay can be used as a staple for most but the added should vary.
Might help if you looked at Kapidolo Farms tortoise food items he sells. I believe he lists all the ingredients. You might find that helpful.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Welcome!

The science on oxalates is outdated and should not be relied upon; feed your tortoise as wide of a variety as you can and keep them hydrated—those are the best rules to follow.

Check the sulcata subforum for guidance on how to introduce more hay into your tortoise's diet as that should be the primary food.

Jute leaves are a great food and high in fiber; one of the many mallows/hibiscus we suggest here. My Russian loves it. Some moringa and water spinach are fine if your tortoise will eat them. As the primary goal is always variety you want to offer bits and pieces of different foods as often as you can. This thread might be useful as it focuses on foods available in some Southeast Asia countries: https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/s...land-malay-indo-etc-diet.165957/#post-1605308.

Some members will likely not realize you are in the Philippines so take our advice with a grain of salt; we are going to suggest foods from North America that you likely can't get. Your best bet is as I said above, checking out the sulcata forum on tips for introducing hay. You might also be able to get feedback on the commercial feed you mentioned (I don't know anything about commercial foods).

Good luck!

StubbyTheTortoise

Manila, Philippines
Ditto what Tammy said. A tortoise diet should consist of many different items, not just one. Grass or hay can be used as a staple for most but the added should vary.
Might help if you looked at Kapidolo Farms tortoise food items he sells. I believe he lists all the ingredients. You might find that helpful.
Yeahh but it's really difficult to make the baby sulcata eat grass or hay. any greens with a bit of hay, even with just a sprinkle, he wouldn't touch. So for the meantime, the staple food are fresh leaves of jute, moringa, hibiscus leaves, a bit of spinach, pellets (twice a week).

StubbyTheTortoise

Manila, Philippines
Welcome!

The science on oxalates is outdated and should not be relied upon; feed your tortoise as wide of a variety as you can and keep them hydrated—those are the best rules to follow.

Check the sulcata subforum for guidance on how to introduce more hay into your tortoise's diet as that should be the primary food.

Jute leaves are a great food and high in fiber; one of the many mallows/hibiscus we suggest here. My Russian loves it. Some moringa and water spinach are fine if your tortoise will eat them. As the primary goal is always variety you want to offer bits and pieces of different foods as often as you can. This thread might be useful as it focuses on foods available in some Southeast Asia countries: https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/s...land-malay-indo-etc-diet.165957/#post-1605308.

Some members will likely not realize you are in the Philippines so take our advice with a grain of salt; we are going to suggest foods from North America that you likely can't get. Your best bet is as I said above, checking out the sulcata forum on tips for introducing hay. You might also be able to get feedback on the commercial feed you mentioned (I don't know anything about commercial foods).

Good luck!
Thanks a lot !!!! I've never been to a forum more helpful than this. Happy New Year everyone !!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Yeahh but it's really difficult to make the baby sulcata eat grass or hay. any greens with a bit of hay, even with just a sprinkle, he wouldn't touch. So for the meantime, the staple food are fresh leaves of jute, moringa, hibiscus leaves, a bit of spinach, pellets (twice a week).
Babies won't eat hay but they will grass.