Any sulcata owners in the UK?

Lisa1978

Location (City and/or State)
London, UK
Hi all.... im new on here... ive got two sulcata hatchlings... would be good to speak to others in the UK... as im finding alot of conflicting advice... look forward to hearing from you....

Lisa

Tank & Tiny

rachelp001

Hi
I'm a new sulcata owner but I am also in the uk looks like there is just 3 of us at mo!

Lisa1978

London, UK
Lol... looks like it rachel. Where abouts are you? Have you had your sulcata for long? Hi also RussianRoulette

rachelp001

Lol... looks like it rachel. Where abouts are you? Have you had your sulcata for long? Hi also RussianRoulette

I'm in West Yorkshire and iv had them for 4 days now! So not long
How long have you had yours

Lisa1978

London, UK
Aww your more of a pro than i am then. Ive had my two for a couple of weeks... i did have a sulcata before but he died suddenly... i found him on his back. But i also have a 9 mth old horsfield.

RussianRoulette

Hi I didn't realise there were so few of us! I'm from the midlands and have had my sulcata for almost 6 weeks now. Sorry to hear about your previous sulcata. I also keep russians, hence the name. Nice to meet you two.

Lisa1978

London, UK
Where in the midlands are you? Im originally from worcester... but im in London now.

Lisa1978

London, UK
Can i ask you both what do you use as your substrate with this wonderful uk climate?

rachelp001

Can i ask you both what do you use as your substrate with this wonderful uk climate?

I use coco coir comes in a brick and you leave it to soak in water and it breaks down etc the only issue iv got is trying to get heat above 80 at hot end so going to try using a heat mat underneath too but the humidity I am struggling with can only reach just under 60 percent but I think once heat increases the humidity may increase too but yeh it's hard with the English cold weather

Lisa1978

London, UK
I totally agree... i was using readigrass... but im just about to change to coco coir and top soil. Ive got them both in a tortoise table.. theyve got a 12% uvb arcadia tube and a sun glo 100w basking bulb.... then in their cool area its covered for them. But theres so much conflcting info.. especially info from states to uk. Im just about to start growing seeds for them.. as i was just buying the prepared salad bags from asda and cutting grass and dandilions from the garden for them.

Lisa1978

London, UK
This is Tank & Tiny... although im pleased to say Tiny is already growing since i had them. The breeder that i got them from said dont give them any baths... dont

Lisa1978

London, UK
This is Tank & Tiny... although im pleased to say Tiny is already growing since i had them. The breeder that i got them from said dont give them any baths.. dont give them any water.. only romaine lettuce... no calcium.... i was abit taken back as they were breeders!

Attachments

• 1410286284112.jpg
    1410286284112.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 20
  • 1410286307488.jpg
    1410286307488.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 22

rachelp001

This is Tank & Tiny... although im pleased to say Tiny is already growing since i had them. The breeder that i got them from said dont give them any baths.. dont give them any water.. only romaine lettuce... no calcium.... i was abit taken back as they were breeders!
Iv got them in an indoor rabbit hutch at the moment as I kept reading people were using then and then attached the heat bulb by connecting Bracket to bars and same for the uva/UVB

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1410286816.463393.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1410286816.463393.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 18

Lisa1978

London, UK
Awww .. ive seen a few ppl use those.. is that a combination bulb and infa red you got?

rachelp001

Iv got a heat bulb which is the red one and a uva/UVB bulb which is only on for 12 hours and but the heat bulb stays on all the time ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1410288682.947792.jpg
And then they have 2 little hides which was a plastic box with entire side taken off and then I covered in the soil and iv put a metal sheet above cage at the bulb side to stop some heat escaping but yeh ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1410288810.009543.jpg
Got my humidity to nearly 70 bit hoping be more humid in the boxes but my general heat is only 75

Lisa1978

London, UK
Wish id of done my lighting like that... dohhhh! My horsfield has just got a combination bulb in... as hes better with the uk climate.
What foods do your sullys have?.

rachelp001

Theyv got grass from garden and dandelion leaves plus got some rocket,spinach, water cress and kale and also a prepacked mix of dry grasses and a cuttlebone but I have only had them 4 days so still trying to figure what they eat and how much etc

Lisa1978

London, UK
Awww 4 days... i thought u said 4 years... i must of read wrong. Where did you get your prepacked grasses from.. ive not seen that.

Hi Damo... i got mine from preloved... but you can try gumtree or googling sulcata breeders then put your area. Hope that helps.