Any Sulcata owners in the UK ??

Nibs

HiNibs and thanks. I'm starting to get worried now as we have him in a rabbit cage set up. Am I right in thinking now that this is not suitable ? Should he be in a closed chamber style set up ? If so, do you think it would be possible to convert a rabbit cage into a closed chamber by covering sides, top etc ?
Thanks again.

Hey, sorry for the delay. I kept mine in a rabbit cage initially, until I read some of the comments on the forum and realised I needed to up the humidity - so I did as you suggested and made it into a closed chamber by enclosing the sides - it was very rough and ready as I used things like the top of plastic boxes I had to cover the ends, and the top I covered with silver foil following some suggestions I had seen on here , but it upped the humidity well and helped reverse some of the pyramiding I had caused. As they outgrew the rabbit cage, I then used that opportunity to build a proper closed chamber :)

de0908

Thanks for the reply Nibs. I'm definitely gonna look into enclosing the cage to some degree to try and keep some humidity in. In the meantime, I've started to mist Timmy and the substrate 2-3 times a day to keep everything nice and moist which I'm also hoping will increase the humidity. Can I just check with you about what we're feeding him also ? At the minute, he's on a mixture of finely chopped grass, brocolli, carrots, kale, Florette crispy salad, dandelions and Nutrazu pellets (which I understand are similar to Mazuri). does this sound ok ? Since we got him 2 months ago, he has gained about 40g and just over a centimeter in length. Does this sound like an acceptable rate of growth ? He is very alert and lively and is eating, peeing and pooping well.
Thanks

Nibs

Thanks for the reply Nibs. I'm definitely gonna look into enclosing the cage to some degree to try and keep some humidity in. In the meantime, I've started to mist Timmy and the substrate 2-3 times a day to keep everything nice and moist which I'm also hoping will increase the humidity. Can I just check with you about what we're feeding him also ? At the minute, he's on a mixture of finely chopped grass, brocolli, carrots, kale, Florette crispy salad, dandelions and Nutrazu pellets (which I understand are similar to Mazuri). does this sound ok ? Since we got him 2 months ago, he has gained about 40g and just over a centimeter in length. Does this sound like an acceptable rate of growth ? He is very alert and lively and is eating, peeing and pooping well.
Thanks

Hi.

I think I will need to defer to the wiser members of this group re food - I'm definitely learning as I go along!! The food you are using sound good to me though re the grass, dandelions and natrazu.

I'm not sure about the broccoli as I had understood this wasn't the best thing to feed them, and carrots I think need to be in moderation - I use this website for food guidance: http://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/site/tortoise_home_1.asp , combined with Tom's guidance from the pages pinned to the top of the sully section.

Hopefully some of the group can help!