Any Sulcata owners in the UK ??

de0908

Hi, just wondering if there are any other Sulcata owners in the UK on here ? Would love to know what your setups are like, what your Sully's are fed on etc ???

Thanks

de0908

@Lyn W has a Leopard; their care is very similar.

Those care sheets I gave you on your other thread are the way to go :)
I'm reading everything I can lol and thanks for the care sheets. I may be over doing it but I just want to research everything as much as I can to make sure he stays happy and healthy :)

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
You really need to get into future planning. Your Sully cannot hibernate and will grow rapidly into an un-liftable 100lb bulldozer that goes where it wants.

You will need lots of outdoor space and some kind of insulated, heated garage or shed for the winter. Start planning now.

de0908

You really need to get into future planning. Your Sully cannot hibernate and will grow rapidly into an un-liftable 100lb bulldozer that goes where it wants.

You will need lots of outdoor space and some kind of insulated, heated garage or shed for the winter. Start planning now.
I've already planned most of this. I have a big garage which will be devoted entirely to him. I plan to insulate it fully and permenantly block off the big front door on it. I also plan to lower the ceiling so it will be easier to heat. I have a big back garden as well which he will have the full run off. I looked into all of this before getting him so was sure I would be able to give him adequate space and housing before committing to caring for him.

Barrysulcata

Location (City and/or State)
Uk
Hi names Tim from uk I have Sulcata (Barry) he's 11 years old now and a little over 40 lb

Judytort

Hi I'm in the UK to . Just bought my little sucalta on Sunday from a rep show in Essex

de0908

Hi names Tim from uk I have Sulcata (Barry) he's 11 years old now and a little over 40 lb
Hi Tim, he sounds like big guy ! Can I ask what your setup is like for him and more so what it was like when he was a little one ?
Cheers

de0908

Hi I'm in the UK to . Just bought my little sucalta on Sunday from a rep show in Essex
Hi Judy, congratulations lol ! Can I ask how old he is and what your setup is like for him ? Also, what are you feeding him on ?
Thanks

Judytort

Hi ya.. I think he's about 1 or months as he still has an egg tooth. I'll post a pic of my set up...he's eating clover and clover flowers , lawn grass, dandelion flowers and leaves,pansy flowers,hibiscus leaves . Well that's what I'm offering but he don't eat much yet.

de0908

Aww, cute :) sounds good. There's plenty for him to choose from to eat then. He will eat sooner or later. Ours was like that for a few days then once he settled in, he started eating like a horse lol. Is that a combination UV and heat light or do you have a separate UV bulb for him ?

Thanks for the pic btw.

Judytort

It a combined bulb.. just had he's morning bath, had a few mouthfuls and gone back to bed lol

Nibs

I have two sully's and am in the UK - mine will turn three in a couple of weeks. They currently have a large indoor setup in my dining room and then access to two sections of the garden. I have a large garage in the garden that is being converted into a home for them as they get bigger, divided into two. (Lesson learned a little late on here that Sully's do not need company, so now I have two of everything!!!)

I use a combined bulb for them, the arcadia d3 and a ceramic heating element. They are fed on grass, weeds, flowers and home grown lettuce as well as mazuri pellets - and they eat like there is no tomorrow!

E

de0908

I have two sully's and am in the UK - mine will turn three in a couple of weeks. They currently have a large indoor setup in my dining room and then access to two sections of the garden. I have a large garage in the garden that is being converted into a home for them as they get bigger, divided into two. (Lesson learned a little late on here that Sully's do not need company, so now I have two of everything!!!)

I use a combined bulb for them, the arcadia d3 and a ceramic heating element. They are fed on grass, weeds, flowers and home grown lettuce as well as mazuri pellets - and they eat like there is no tomorrow!

E
Hi Nibs, can I ask what substrate they are kept on and what do you do about humidity ? Do you dampen their substrate at all ?
Thanks

Nibs

Hi Nibs, can I ask what substrate they are kept on and what do you do about humidity ? Do you dampen their substrate at all ?
Thanks

Hey. Inside I have them on a mix of sterilised top soil (just bags from Wickes) and coco coir - I will move them to dirt from outside in time for ease, but having last year moved into my current home, I'm leaving it a little while in case the previous owner used pesticides or anything in it.

For humidity, they are in closed chamber style enclosures (wooden walls lined with pond liner and then a mix of perspec and glass for the cover) and I dampen the substrate in the morning and then when I get home from work - that seems to keep the levels right. I'm trying to undo damage I did when I got them when I kept them hot and dry on (bad!) advice from the breeder. But they seem to like it and they burrow right down into the soil.

de0908

Hey. Inside I have them on a mix of sterilised top soil (just bags from Wickes) and coco coir - I will move them to dirt from outside in time for ease, but having last year moved into my current home, I'm leaving it a little while in case the previous owner used pesticides or anything in it.

For humidity, they are in closed chamber style enclosures (wooden walls lined with pond liner and then a mix of perspec and glass for the cover) and I dampen the substrate in the morning and then when I get home from work - that seems to keep the levels right. I'm trying to undo damage I did when I got them when I kept them hot and dry on (bad!) advice from the breeder. But they seem to like it and they burrow right down into the soil.

HiNibs and thanks. I'm starting to get worried now as we have him in a rabbit cage set up. Am I right in thinking now that this is not suitable ? Should he be in a closed chamber style set up ? If so, do you think it would be possible to convert a rabbit cage into a closed chamber by covering sides, top etc ?
Thanks again.