Favorite Fruits?

Bambam1989

Location (City and/or State)
East Texas
Think the strangest i've come across was when i was like 13 or 14 and was raising hogs. I had a neighbor who also had yorkshire hogs and i was talking to him one day about care and feeding advice and he told me: "yeah, they'll eat anything! We even throw them the scraps from the burchered boar hogs we hunt each year!" ....i thought that was beyond f****d up. I mean, from experience, i will say they do pretty much eat anything, it's called "sloppin' the hogs" for reason, but... come on! lol
That's common. In Texas we had a big problem with wild hogs(invasive). My brother-in-law was often paid to go out and thin herds that were becoming problematic. Went with him a couple of times. Once we came up on a group ripping a small hog apart while it was still alive. Maybe it was injured or something but they are omnivores. BIL said that it wasn't uncommon to find them eating carrion but they usually wait til it stops moving..

Bass.Isles

That's common. In Texas we had a big problem with wild hogs(invasive). My brother-in-law was often paid to go out and thin herds that were becoming problematic. Went with him a couple of times. Once we came up on a group ripping a small hog apart while it was still alive. Maybe it was injured or something but they are omnivores. BIL said that it wasn't uncommon to find them eating carrion but they usually wait til it stops moving..
Oh no, i get that it happens in the wild. I Just thought it was messed up to purposely feed wild hog parts to your domesticated pigs. Lol. And though it does happen in the wild, it's never really healthy for something to consume it's own species. It can lead to Prion Disease. I mean, that's how mad cow disease developed in bovines. And Kuru in the Fore tribe of Papua New Guinea.

Bass.Isles

There was story not too long ago about someone who went into the hog's pen, tripped on something, and broke his leg. Apparently this was enough to convince the hogs he was food......

Anyway, back on topic, I never feed my Russian fruit.
Lmao, that reminds me of the ending of "Hannibal". lol. Or that super creepy 2 part episode of Crimal Minds (To hell....)(....And back).

Tortoisaurus

Tampa, FL
There was story not too long ago about someone who went into the hog's pen, tripped on something, and broke his leg. Apparently this was enough to convince the hogs he was food......

Anyway, back on topic, I never feed my Russian fruit.
This was my favorite circle-back response ever 🤣

We have fed ours the tops of the strawberries after we eat them, so there may be a bit here or there but they’re mostly just the green part and she loves them!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Remember the gut of a young/baby tortoise can handle a whole lot less then an adult. That teaspoon or tablespoon is a lot for a baby.
We as the human and care giver are suppose to know better.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Wow….a five-year-old thread is resurrected.

Just say no to fruit (for Sullys). I’m guessing the “fruit” from an opuntia cactus doesn't have much sugar. That’s the only fruit we ever provide to our Sulcata.

Tortoisaurus

Tampa, FL
Remember the gut of a young/baby tortoise can handle a whole lot less then an adult. That teaspoon or tablespoon is a lot for a baby.
We as the human and care giver are suppose to know better.
I know this now. I didn’t think it was so much a problem with just the tops, (I’ve been strictly following every other guideline and using this as a treat) - but I guess so. We all start somewhere, and I joined here to learn and hopefully find a welcoming community for support and to learn.