Any thoughts about this temp monitor?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
I haven't used that specific one, but I use the Accu-Rite ones from Lowes. They work well for me until you get too many in a small area. At that point, they read each others signal and all your base units will read off of the same remote probe.

If you just have the one, it should be great for you.

Longhorns1187

Omaha, NE
Was thinking on switching, we'll adding this remote temp monitor. If anyone has used one let me know your thoughts or what you have to monitor temps remotely.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XKH666P/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20
Looking at ordering this exact model, plus adding another sensor to get two separate readings in a 6 foot long enclosure. I like the fact you can assign different channels for each sensor unit. I'd be interested in hearing your opinion on it, if you do decide to order one. I won't be able to put it to the test until the spring, at the earliest.

Longhorns1187

Omaha, NE
Purchased it last night with the extra sensor. We will see how it works in a week or so.
Cool. Can't wait to hear what you think when you get some time with it. I'm thinking about mounting a magnet to each sensor unit and affixing it to the lower sides of the enclosure.

Hugo's Home

5 Year Member
Chesnee, South Carolina
Well last night was the first night monitoring temps with the new monitor. So I put in two sensors, one on the hot and one on the cold side close to the door. And we'll it works good so far! We saw rain and about 45 degrees F outside last night and it held its temp at around 82 F both hot and cold sides. Today it's around 82.5 so far. This is ambient temperature. So I have a question about how hot to keep it. Hugo is about 50 lbs and maybe 20+ inches. This oil heater is the only heat source in his box. Thought about a heat mat but we don't really see temps here below 20 F. I'll post pics of his setup when I get home from work later today.

Ok questions.
Is 82 a good temp? I've read it should be alright..
Also the wind.. it was pretty windy last night and temps dropped to 70 or so when it was blowing but came back up when it stopped.. how do yall combat this issue of a "draft" coming through the door? I put 3 layers of plastic strips covering the entrance that does ok but... was thinking about planting some bushes or clumping bamboo in front to maybe make a windbloock.. is bamboo safe for sulcatas?
He does have a closing door but I don't really wanna close it unless it's going to snow or be nasty out for a few days. But the "20% chance" of blowing wind in the middle of the night and rain doesn't seem that good of a reason for me to close it up... especially if we don't see that weather actually happening.

Remember for the pics later today so yall can see the setup.

Thanks for all of your help and guidance on how to properly raise and construct the right place for Hugo. It is much appreciated and couldn't have been done it without everyone's help and knowledge!

Last edited:

Longhorns1187

Omaha, NE
Well last night was the first night monitoring temps with the new monitor. So I put in two sensors, one on the hot and one on the cold side close to the door. And we'll it works good so far! We saw rain and about 45 degrees F outside last night and it held its temp at around 82 F both hot and cold sides. Today it's around 82.5 so far. This is ambient temperature. So I have a question about how hot to keep it. Hugo is about 50 lbs and maybe 20+ inches. This oil heater is the only heat source in his box. Thought about a heat mat but we don't really see temps here below 20 F. I'll post pics of his setup when I get home from work later today.

Ok questions.
Also the wind.. it was pretty windy last night and temps dropped to 70 or so when it was blowing but came back up when it stopped.. how do yall combat this issue of a "draft" coming through the door? I put 3 layers of plastic strips covering the entrance that does ok but... was thinking about planting some bushes or clumping bamboo in front to maybe make a windbloock.. is bamboo safe for sulcatas?
He does have a closing door but I don't really wanna close it unless it's going to snow or be nasty out for a few days. But the "20% chance" of blowing wind in the middle of the night and rain doesn't seem that good of a reason for me to close it up... especially if we don't see that weather actually happening.

Thanks for all of your help and guidance on how to properly raise and construct the right place for Hugo. It is much appreciated and couldn't have been done it without everyone's help and knowledge!

Glad to hear the sensors are working! Sorry I can't help you with the other questions. I'm looking forward to hearing if the sensors/monitor continue to function properly over a prolonged time.

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California

Ok questions.

Most people close the door at night to keep the drafts out. I have a secondary closure that Charlie can still push through that helps keep the wind out. The first closure is the plastic carwash door strips. The second door is made of two clear plastic car floor mats overlapped in the center. Then I only have to use a real door when it is really cold.

I also think it makes a difference which plastic strips you use. At one point I was going to use the plastic they sell in fabric stores for table cloths, but what I ended up using is the kind made for freezer doors, and it is much thicker.

I have a similar thermometer that I use to see what the outside temperatures are but I've never tried putting it inside Charlie's box.

Hugo's Home

5 Year Member
Chesnee, South Carolina
Most people close the door at night to keep the drafts out. I have a secondary closure that Charlie can still push through that helps keep the wind out. The first closure is the plastic carwash door strips. The second door is made of two clear plastic car floor mats overlapped in the center. Then I only have to use a real door when it is really cold.

I also think it makes a difference which plastic strips you use. At one point I was going to use the plastic they sell in fabric stores for table cloths, but what I ended up using is the kind made for freezer doors, and it is much thicker.

I have a similar thermometer that I use to see what the outside temperatures are but I've never tried putting it inside Charlie's box.
Hmm I'm using the floor protectors plastic.. but maybe I could build a small tunnel inside his box entrance and add more layers of floormat/car carpet strips. It'll be like he's going through a car wash haha.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
I haven't used that specific one, but I use the Accu-Rite ones from Lowes. They work well for me until you get too many in a small area. At that point, they read each others signal and all your base units will read off of the same remote probe.

If you just have the one, it should be great for you.
I had that problem of signal switching, Solved it by using different name brands. I now use use Radio Shack, LL Bean, La Crosse, and Acurite systems and have never had one read the other signal. One of these is made by Acurite (can't remember which one) but sold under a different name and must be a totally different frequency than Acurites because it has never switched to a different receiver. I also still use a wired system along with the wireless to ease my mind about the inside temps, just have to go outside to check it.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I had that problem of signal switching, Solved it by using different name brands. I now use use Radio Shack, LL Bean, La Crosse, and Acurite systems and have never had one read the other signal. One of these is made by Acurite (can't remember which one) but sold under a different name and must be a totally different frequency than Acurites because it has never switched to a different receiver. I also still use a wired system along with the wireless to ease my mind about the inside temps, just have to go outside to check it.
Thanks for the tip Len.

I solved the problem by putting an individual thermometer/hygrometer that records the daily high and low in each box. I have to open the lid every night on every box to make sure everyone is home before I shut the door for the night, so its easy to check them at that time.

Hugo's Home

5 Year Member
Chesnee, South Carolina
Well it looks like the temp monitors are working great! And for the price geez can't beat it. I would recommend this product! The only thing I am noticing is the difference in humidity. On the humidity controller I have, the humidity is higher compared to what the monitors are reading. So i would say humidity is not accurate..The temps seem to be really close to what the temps are.

Longhorns1187

Omaha, NE
Well it looks like the temp monitors are working great! And for the price geez can't beat it. I would recommend this product! The only thing I am noticing is the difference in humidity. On the humidity controller I have, the humidity is higher compared to what the monitors are reading. So i would say humidity is not accurate..The temps seem to be really close to what the temps are.

I actually purchased 3 of these for some new gecko enclosures we recently bought. With the 3 different available channels, I'm able to designate one for each sensor. Amazingly, all 3 displays are within 1 degree and 1% humidity when reading the temp and humidity of the actual room. Couldn't be happier with the purchase. Now I just need to find another group of temp/humidity sensors that won't interfere with these 3. From what I've been reading, most brands use the 433 MHz signal, but I'm wondering if I go with the Acurite 06002M sensors, will a new system conflict with the Tempro?