Any tips to change diet

Series420

Location (City and/or State)
Detroit area, MI
Hey all, today I'm trying to figure out how to get my sulcata Samson to eat his mazuri LS pellets.

He's new to me, and I got him from a local pet store that was feeding him straight up salad. I've got zoo med grassland pellets and mazuri LS pellets I'm trying to get him eating while I grow some fresh grasses for him. Has anyone gone through a similar situation? If so what worked for you?

Thanks in advance.
-John and Samson1000001506.jpg

Attachments

• 80482C2D86F3_1719001166373.jpg
    80482C2D86F3_1719001166373.jpg
    862.6 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

Chubbs the tegu

5 Year Member
Ma
they seem to take the original mazuri 5m21 without problems. Ive had problems getting them to eat the LS also.

Chubbs the tegu

5 Year Member
Ma
right now he wont even bother to smell the pellets, i dont think he even knows he's able and supposed to eat grass :|
since you got him from a pet store im sure he has never seen grasses. You’ll have to finely chop us a small amount and mix up with his greens. Spray the greens a lil so the grass sticks to it. As he starts eating it you can add larger amounts. I would order some original mazuri .. much easier to get them to eat than the LS. Good luck!

Series420

Detroit area, MI
since you got him from a pet store im sure he has never seen grasses. You’ll have to finely chop us a small amount and mix up with his greens. Spray the greens a lil so the grass sticks to it. As he starts eating it you can add larger amounts. I would order some original mazuri .. much easier to get them to eat than the LS. Good luck!
Great plan thank you!

Series420

Detroit area, MI
You have to soak it if you're not and smear it all over the greens. If he wants a green, he has to eat some of the pellet. Do just a little at a time. If he doesn't eat it, do the same next time. It's a slow process but you have to trick them.
Ill give that a go, thanks mate!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hey all, today I'm trying to figure out how to get my sulcata Samson to eat his mazuri LS pellets.

He's new to me, and I got him from a local pet store that was feeding him straight up salad. I've got zoo med grassland pellets and mazuri LS pellets I'm trying to get him eating while I grow some fresh grasses for him. Has anyone gone through a similar situation? If so what worked for you?

Thanks in advance.
-John and SamsonView attachment 372607
Start slow. Use only a tiny piece of a single broken pellet. Soak the tiny piece of pellet, mince up the favorite greens, and then mix up the tiny amount of mushy pellet with the big pile of greens. If you use too much at first, the tortoise might reject the whole pile. It might take weeks or months to really get him eating it all well, but its worth it. He will be MUCH healthier if you can get him eating a wide variety of new foods all the time, and supplemental pelleted foods help with that.

I've had good results introducing the LS by mixing it with the original Mazuri. You might give that a try.

Chubbs the tegu

5 Year Member
Ma
You have to soak it if you're not and smear it all over the greens. If he wants a green, he has to eat some of the pellet. Do just a little at a time. If he doesn't eat it, do the same next time. It's a slow process but you have to trick them.
Ur more patient than me.. i just order the original haha

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Ur more patient than me.. i just order the original haha
I use the original to. That's all they had when I started using mazuri. I never switched over. However, I did buy a bag the last time I got mazuri. My leopards are not picky eaters, but I can tell they don't like it as much. More left over then the original.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
There's other options, You can buy a small bag of the mini LS and add that to other food items. The mini LS pellets soften much easier and very quick than the regular size pellets do. Or you can grind the original size pellets into almost a powder (I use a coffee bean grinder) and sprinkle it dry onto wetted greens. The ground pellets stick very well to other wetted food items.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I use the original to. That's all they had when I started using mazuri. I never switched over. However, I did buy a bag the last time I got mazuri. My leopards are not picky eaters, but I can tell they don't like it as much. More left over then the original.
Same here. Mine will eat the LS when they are hungry, but they definitely don't like it as much as the "good stuff". The only time they completely finish the LS is when I mix in some original.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Same here. Mine will eat the LS when they are hungry, but they definitely don't like it as much as the "good stuff". The only time they completely finish the LS is when I mix in some original.
That's what I do, mix it with the original. Even then if some of the LS is not mixed in as good, they will leave it.