Why does my baby's hermann's tortoise shell look like this? (It lives outside)

Alex and the Redfoot

Location (City and/or State)
Cyprus
Hello!
If you are concerned about "cracks" between the scutes - this is where new growth happens. In dry conditions new shell growth will be uneven. Yet it's hard to tell if something's off - because of dirt and evening lightning. Can you give your tortoise a warm bath in a shallow water, rinse the dirt and make a close-up photo in a daylight?

How old is your tortoise? Up to a certain age they do better inside in a closed type enclosure with controlled temperatures and humidity. Time outside is good but should be limited to a few hours.

The_Four_Toed_Edward

Finland
What age and size is is your tortoise (measured from tail to neck, underside the shell) and his weight? He looks like he should still be in a closed chamber. Those cracks are probably caused by low humidity.

LukaStipi

Novi Sad
Hello!
If you are concerned about "cracks" between the scutes - this is where new growth happens. In dry conditions new shell growth will be uneven. Yet it's hard to tell if something's off - because of dirt and evening lightning. Can you give your tortoise a warm bath in a shallow water, rinse the dirt and make a close-up photo in a daylight?

How old is your tortoise? Up to a certain age they do better inside in a closed type enclosure with controlled temperatures and humidity. Time outside is good but should be limited to a few hours.
Its around 1 year old, i will give it a bath tomorrow and will send the picture

Raquel1978

Swansea wales
How often do you soak him? My little one is 9 months old and I soak her every morning. Mines a indoor tortoise so maybe younger ones do better indoors to start them out properly.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
He's very dry. An indoor, covered enclosure would be much better for him for another year or so. That way you could provide a warm, humid atmosphere for him and the shell would have more of a luster to it.

At a year of age he should have more growth lines to his shell. What do you feed him and how often?

LukaStipi

Novi Sad
He's very dry. An indoor, covered enclosure would be much better for him for another year or so. That way you could provide a warm, humid atmosphere for him and the shell would have more of a luster to it.

At a year of age he should have more growth lines to his shell. What do you feed him and how often?
I feed it every day, it eats grass,cucumber and other weed. I scrape some cuttlefish bone on cucumber every week or two. What is the best substrate for a closed chamber?

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Perhaps, coco coir (coco peat) would be the best for now. Other options are fir bark and cypress mulch. You can check if garden stores or plant nurseries nearby sell some in large bags/bricks (it would be cheaper than buying from a pet store).

Also, you can check this care guide:
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/info-for-new-people-please-read-this-first.202363/ (and the guide for temperate species at the bottom of it). There are heating/lightning equipment list, diet recommendations and much more.

Feel free to ask any questions!

LukaStipi

Novi Sad
Hello!

Attachments

• 20240628_123954.jpg
    20240628_123954.jpg
    372.5 KB · Views: 2
  • 20240628_123953.jpg
    20240628_123953.jpg
    376.1 KB · Views: 1
  • 20240628_123952.jpg
    20240628_123952.jpg
    393.5 KB · Views: 1
  • 20240628_123948.jpg
    20240628_123948.jpg
    462.8 KB · Views: 1
  • 20240628_123944.jpg
    20240628_123944.jpg
    404.3 KB · Views: 2

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Hi! His shell needs some moisture. It looks dry. Get a soft bristle toothbrush (e.g. for kids 0-3) and gently wet clean and moisten the shell while he is soaking (no need to do it daily, once a week is fine).
I see no reasons to worry yet, but he will definitely benefit from higher humidity. Can you post a photo of his enclosure/pen outside? And his shell photo after brush cleaning.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
After you clean the shell like advised above, rub in some cold pressed coconut oil. Allow it to absorb for 15 or 20 minutes then polish it off with a clean, dry, absorbent cloth/towell.