Why does my hatching hate it outside?

Karabear95

Location (City and/or State)
Texas
I take my 4 month old sulcata outside to get some uvb and fresh air and all he does is hide. He has a small makeshift cinder block outdoor enclosure with chicken wire on top, a shaded area and some water. He stays out probably an hour. I checked the temps with my temp gun and they appear normal. This is probably his 5th time outside and all he does is run in the corner and/or hide in his shell. :( has anyone else experienced this and is it normal ?

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
That’s pretty normal behavior. They are programmed to hide & stay out of view from big bad predators. In the wild, they spend an awful lot of time in their underground burrows & later in life hiding. Your tort will soon learn that it‘s safe in his little outdoor area & get more active & explore.

Good luck

Karabear95

Texas
any tortoises need time to adjust to a new environment, doesn't mean they don't like it haha.
Lol yeah I know that’s true but gosh I thought he’d be a little more used to it by now 😅 when he first came home to me he took no time at all adjusting, it’s just something about outside that is taking him a little longer to acclimate to I guess

Karabear95

Texas
That’s pretty normal behavior. They are programmed to hide & stay out of view from big bad predators. In the wild, they spend an awful lot of time in their underground burrows & later in life hiding. Your tort will soon learn that it‘s safe in his little outdoor area & get more active & explore.

Good luck
Thank you this makes me feel a lot better. ❤️

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
Try providing shelter and greenery with large leaves. He will enjoy the outside but scared of predators so provide mix of shelter and open space and I am sure he will adjust. 4 month us still tiny so ensure water dish and food dish are accessible with pebbles round the edge.

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
It's easy to forget that a Turtle/Tortoise's view of the world is very different than our own.

For them every single move they make is honestly, a matter of life & death when they live in the wild.

Hiding from the unknown is a pretty basic survival solution and as suggested, most of us try to provide "hides" for our survival-minded friends.

I'm teasing of course but from his point of view;
He sees a 300% increase of sunlight, is being flown in the air, feels wind and temp changes along with new surroundings....he's freaking....LOL, really?...wonder why.....

Cool little guy though, isn't he?

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
I take my 4 month old sulcata outside to get some uvb and fresh air and all he does is hide. He has a small makeshift cinder block outdoor enclosure with chicken wire on top, a shaded area and some water. He stays out probably an hour. I checked the temps with my temp gun and they appear normal. This is probably his 5th time outside and all he does is run in the corner and/or hide in his shell. :( has anyone else experienced this and is it normal ?
Can we see a picture of him in the outdoor enclosure?

ANGELA BRZECZKOWSKI

HARTLAND, WI
"Normal " temps on the ground are a lot colder than air temps and wind is hard to get used to. I won't take mine out unless there's no wind and it's super warm and nice out. If its "nice" I'll stand outside for a few minutes holding him but that's it. yes Charlie the tortoise is "spoiled " 😊