Anybody seen these???...

Cheryl Hills

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Youngstown, Ohio
All I know is they are beautiful animals. Never seen one before. I sure have a lot to learn about turtles.

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
Thanks ALL for keeping it simple and just appreciating how they look!

All this drama about Integrate vs Intergrade is all in how it's referenced - "The man induced integrate is a short-term deal.. whereas intergration of 'sub-species' is over an extended ongoing time. Man and their 'greed', etc. just muddied the waters and created a mix of subspecies that would not be seen in the wild otherwise... several 100's of miles apart!!!

Anthony was correct in his explanation using the term Intergrade.. Berkeley was trying to make this "pictorial" [ display of pics ] a scientific something??? And y'all know how I feel about all that.

Typical color 'morphs' - Gulf Coast - from a few miles apart.. max.

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
Again [ what are these doing in the Mississippi / M.t.pileata ( they're supposed to be black ) range??

I can't wait to see what kind of babies these will make { both are females }.

I don't know which I like the best!?!

She was really shy and couldn't get any good pics of her basking -

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
All I know is they are beautiful animals. Never seen one before. I sure have a lot to learn about turtles.

Cheryl the Diamondback Terrapin water turtle is the most unique in North America.. they live in brackish water and have been exploited like no other.
Not unlike every other tortoise or turtle they require only 4 different things to thrive.. ( in particular - brackish/fresh water.. temps.. lighting.. and diet ).. as long as these are balanced they will thrive and eventually produce!

enchilada

5 Year Member
Newport Beach CA
so how does the wild DBT gets fresh water?
do they swim up stream the river or drink puddles of rain water?
from my experience, if i keep them in my reef tank for more than 12 hours and then place them in fresh water, the first thing they do is extend their necks and drinks from their nose for 10 sec straight

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
Great question!

First of all enchilada.. your reef is 'pure' salt! They sometimes go out [ from shore ] to saltwater to graze on shrimp... but most of the time they are closer to shore where it's lower salinity. They can tolerate a lower % for a number of days.. but must drink from the surface - fresh water is "lighter" in density so it "floats" on top of the denser saline water - especially when it rains!

Every other day or so I feed mine in fresh water - and yes they do drink for awhile.

My outdoor set-up - these Gulf Coast [ smaller are the males ] are coming from the main "brackish water" stock tank ( 300 gallon ) into the 140 gallon fresh water -

AND the "East Coast"- Northerns/Concentrics -

Last edited:

GRohr

Man, I can't wait to get a concentric terrapin, they are just fantastic looking i think. Just have to wait till I have a large enough setup that I can dedicate to them. How many hatchlings do you normally get a year @Redfoot NERD ?

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
Thanks GRohr !

The past couple years have been mainly 'preparing' for the 2016 season.. in 2013 [ due to incubating errors ] only 2 hatchlings from only 1 female were produced - both males.. incubated @ 80 F .. shown as yearlings -

There are 4-5 females in a brumation ( hibernation ) state now that could easily produce 18-25+/- babies this year.

You've seen a few of the females earlier in this thread.

The most 'hopeful' pair - male on left -

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Terry

You mentioned you were incubating at 80F. I have found that terrapins do seem to need a lower incubation temp than most of the N American turtles, but have seen a male/female mix occurs at about 82-83f incubation temps. Lower, males, above more females. What have you found?

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
Mark.. sorry for the late reply!

I've incubated Macros @ 87+F [ wrong incubator placement.. creating temp. spikes, etc.! ] that resulted in premature hatching with large yolk-sacs and deaths in-egg -- most disturbing as you can imagine! The 2 that have survived are female.

All NEW incubators and temperature controlled placements this year!!!

Other than tortoises.. the only other long-term breeding program was with Clemmys guttata ( NA Spotted ) that were incubated at 87-88F / all females. Over an 8 year program only 3-4 had split-scutes.. and a consistent 90% or so hatch rate!

Should know a lot better this season.. but don't expect to incubate at higher than 82F max.

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
Yeah, not too many of first timers left on the Forum.

Yeah Yvonne not many left ---- and because of the "modern" mentality on "Redfoots" .. I won't be going there anymore -- can't help them.. they believe what "researchers" [ with no 'hands-on' experience.. let alone hatched any ] say. etc. - etc. - etc. !!!

How can you question dated chronological pictorial documentation???

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Mark.. sorry for the late reply!

I've incubated Macros @ 87+F [ wrong incubator placement.. creating temp. spikes, etc.! ] that resulted in premature hatching with large yolk-sacs and deaths in-egg -- most disturbing as you can imagine! The 2 that have survived are female.

All NEW incubators and temperature controlled placements this year!!!

Other than tortoises.. the only other long-term breeding program was with Clemmys guttata ( NA Spotted ) that were incubated at 87-88F / all females. Over an 8 year program only 3-4 had split-scutes.. and a consistent 90% or so hatch rate!

Should know a lot better this season.. but don't expect to incubate at higher than 82F max.
I did find 82-83 worked well, but have only done one clutch of Terrapins. Done lots of Clemmys guttata though. Have been using 86 for them with great results.

Really love the thermostat I use - Helix Controls. Bought one of their first models over 20 years ago and a second one a few years later. Still using both without ever an issue with either. They are about $100, but they are proportional - Not just an on/off switch - so as the temp starts to dip towards your set point, the heat just starts to kick on proportionally from 1% - 100%, so no spikes in temp once the incubator is at temp - it stays with 1/2 degree of what you set.

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
I did find 82-83 worked well, but have only done one clutch of Terrapins. Done lots of Clemmys guttata though. Have been using 86 for them with great results.

Really love the thermostat I use - Helix Controls. Bought one of their first models over 20 years ago and a second one a few years later. Still using both without ever an issue with either. They are about $100, but they are proportional - Not just an on/off switch - so as the temp starts to dip towards your set point, the heat just starts to kick on proportionally from 1% - 100%, so no spikes in temp once the incubator is at temp - it stays with 1/2 degree of what you set.

Would you email me please Mark?.. [email protected]

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee

@Markw84 your email failed ???