Anybody wanna make a guess??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
I am sure atleast some of you have saw the Living lettuces sold in the stores? They are heads of lettuce with the roots still attached, thus still living. I have been wanting to try one since I think it was Cheryl talked about them. So yesterday, I purchased one and this afternoon put it in with my three little sulcata hatchlings.

Anybody want to make a guess as to how long til it is totally trashed? It's larger then a softball, more like a large cantaloupe/muskmelon. The tortoises have their regular food, this is just more for a fun treat to make them work at ripping and tearing their food.

cherylim

5 Year Member
Leyland, UK
If Emrys really focuses on one, he can wreck it in two days. Usually, he gets distracted by everything else on offer and it lasts the week until I get back to the store - sometimes longer.

Three young sulcatas? I'd be surprised if it lasted 24 hours. :p

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I have one leopard, with what he eats, I would say three sulcata can make it disappear in a day and a half

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I think the second I turned the light on, two of them headed over to the lettuce. The third was too busy trying to figure out how to eat the stick (which for them it appears more like a huge log :D ). He did give up on the stick, once I came with morning greens. :D

It has been fun watching them working on the head. They remind me a lot of the horses. You would put a bale of hay in the round feeder and they would end up with a thick layer around the feeder which they then would stomp on and waste. These guys are doing the same and cutting the leaves off at the base, rather then eating the leaf as it falls down.

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
Great idea! I've seen those in the store. The ones around here are butter lettuce- is that what yours is?
Mmm I made such a great salad with that once... (for me, not my neglected tortoise :p)

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
They are still working on it, but it is looking really sickly. :D I am betting a couple of hours tomorrow morning and it is gone. Now what will I do to keep the brats happy? :D

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Lets see how long to go through a large cactus pad or a whole cactus plant. Maybe they will just need a long rest for now, sleeping off the lettuce head:D

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
wellington said:
Lets see how long to go through a large cactus pad or a whole cactus plant. Maybe they will just need a long rest for now, sleeping off the lettuce head:D

That's an idea. I don't seem to get much enthusiasm from the other tortoises on cactus. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.