Anyone else fed up of the snow?

Status
Not open for further replies.

alfiethetortoise

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
England
I feel like a bit of a kill joy for complaing about so much snow, when some people are lucky to get any at all. BUT we have had snow for the last three weeks! And last night, another foot, and tonight, another foot is predicted! I have only had my car out a bit in the last week, and now it's totally snowed in again! And the weatherman says the cold weater (it was -8 yesterday) is going to proably last till mid feb! So all the snow shall just turn to ice and not melt! And there is nothing to do here, because we are still recovering from the horrific flooding which caused total havoc! I sure hope we have a nice hot summer in compensation ;)

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Brooke, here we have a lot of snow too but I am not fed up yet, give me 2-3 more weeks and I will be lol :D.

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
NJ
We have only had 1 storm here that produced 2 feet of snow , which is a lot for us here in NJ, but I am over it and the freezing temps. I can't wait until Spring!!!!

York1

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
No snow yet here in GA. Might get a few inches towards the end of the week tho

Kymiie

5 Year Member
Nottinghamshire, UK
Snow here in Mansfield, Nottinghamshire UK

My school got closed and I tripped 4 times (well slipped)

We have 5 inches At the moment

HATE IT!!!!!

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
Ugh I'm so tired of it too. I can't take my dogs for a proper walk because it's freezing.
For me, worse than the snow is the fact that it has been SO cold outside!!
It's supposed to snow later in the week :rolleyes:
I can't wait until spring!

sammi

10 Year Member!
San Diego, CA
Snow? What snow? Our temps bounce between 60-80 throughout the week :)

Don't hate me! :p

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
No one asked you sammi!

;)

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
Hey Sammi go back to the beach and get burned! I live in the Catskill Mountains of "upstate" New York: 8-10" on the ground and another 4-6" of white stuff coming in the next 48 hours. We're not talking white sand either! It's warmed up alot though. We were actually in double digits (18 degrees) this morning!
26 degrees @ 1 pm.

Yes, I'm jealous of you!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Oh, yes...I'm SO FED UP!!! :D (Sunny days and nights in the lower 40's)

spikethebest

10 Year Member!
Southern California
it has NEVER snowed at my house. and if it did, the entire city-- 4 million people will be stuck, no school, no work .... nothing. there isnt a snow truck for 100s of miles.

i have to drive 2 hours just to find snow a few weeks of the year.

i love los angeles. what can i say?

and i better not see anything about earthquakes.... those come once every 20 years, and in 1994 when a big one hit, nothing really happened. not a single plate or cup in my house fell and no one got hurt.

so yea, who wants to be a snow bird and travel to southern california for the winter?

sammi

10 Year Member!
San Diego, CA
GBtortoises said:
Hey Sammi go back to the beach and get burned! I live in the Catskill Mountains of "upstate" New York: 8-10" on the ground and another 4-6" of white stuff coming in the next 48 hours. We're not talking white sand either! It's warmed up alot though. We were actually in double digits (18 degrees) this morning!
26 degrees @ 1 pm.

Yes, I'm jealous of you!

I do have to say, it would be awesome to experience "a white christmas", you know? And to have a "snow day" for school [though I'm way past that]. The only thing we ever had were "fire days" [no joke]. If anyone remembers the SoCal fires some years back, they closed schools and some businesses because the smoke got so bad and thick, it was unhealthy to even go outside.

I have never been to New York, but I still think it would be cool to visit and experience weeks of snow at least once! =]

spikethebest

10 Year Member!
Southern California
sammi said:
GBtortoises said:
26 degrees @ 1 pm.

Yes, I'm jealous of you!

I do have to say, it would be awesome to experience "a white christmas", you know? And to have a "snow day" for school [though I'm way past that]. The only thing we ever had were "fire days" [no joke]. If anyone remembers the SoCal fires some years back, they closed schools and some businesses because the smoke got so bad and thick, it was unhealthy to even go outside.

I have never been to New York, but I still think it would be cool to visit and experience weeks of snow at least once! =]

i agree 100% with sammi. ive only had fire days, bomb scares, and 3 weeks off from the 1994 earthquake (a bridge fell down to the school i went to), but never a snow day. but i heard the snow needs to be a certain height to cancel school. how much is that? like 10 feet? lol. it would be just a few inches here probably....lol.

when we have "storm watch"... its when we get a 1/2 inch of rain in a day....lol.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
Snow or no snow, I'll stay where I am for now-no neighbors, no polution, no horns honking, lots and lots of wildlife, mountains, forest, streams, ponds & lakes. The county that I live in has barely over 46 thousand people within 1,446 thousand square miles. That averages out to about 33 people per square mile. Right where I live it's probably about 12-20 people per square mile.
The closet village is 6 miles away. There's even two, count 'em, two traffic lights! LOL

Oh yeah also no earthquakes, mudslides, forest fires, hurricanes or tornadoes. Sure, winter is a bit long and cold but the more I think about it--bring on the snow!

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
I'm moving to California. Illinois has done nothing for me :p

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I have heard rumors of how do you say? this snow, but to date I have seen no evidence of it, sorry.

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
It's true, California has an awesome climate. When my husband was growing up in Garden Grove in the 60's, it was quite the happening place--beaches, surfing, hip culture, endless summer. When we had to decide between California and Colorado for where to live and raise our kids, though, it was actually Fred who pushed for Colorado. In the 90's, it was growing but not overpopulated. The traffic actually moves on our freeways. California friends and relatives have struggled a lot more to keep up with the cost of living, especially home prices for anyone wanting to live within a one-hour commute to work. California is still very trendy, which can be fun for young adults, but can result in a lot of peer pressure to be/have/look like that latest fashion. I think drug abuse rates are higher in California--my husband's brother sadly died from an overdose in 1993. I also think the Hollywood Glamor of L.A. is overrated, and has attracted a lot of self-absorbed "actors" to the state.

This is not to say the whole state is like this, or every family. But there were eight kids in Fred's family, so lots of cousins, nieces and nephews, plus tons of former friends and acquaintances, and the overall impression of long-term California living is that (all of) the costs are high.;)

So there's only a part of me that would trade our cold winters for California Dreaming.:p

nearpass

10 Year Member!
Well, all you snow deprived folk...it's been snowing here daily for over a week. Not really hard, but enough to add up. I'm just on the edge of the upstate NY lake effect snow area, so there are plenty of folks just a few miles from here with lots more. It doesn't slow anyone down much here unless we happen to get a storm that dumps a foot or more all at once.

deck.jpg

feeder.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.