Anyone else have a Manouria that is a heavy grass grazer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Florida
I know most owners make note of their Manouria not eating much in the way of grass, but my largest M.e.p. female eats grass at roughly the same level as a Sulcata. At first, when introduced to the yard, she'd seek out broad-leaved weeds, flowers, mushroom, and various small critters (even ate a bird), but she now eats mainly grass. Kind of odd, but extremely convenient.

Have any of you had similar experiences?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The ONLY time mine graze at all, whether grass, weeds or from the many plants in the "rain forest," is when I haven't offered them food in a couple days. Then they will eat whatever they find, grass equally so.

My rain forest is very well planted and everything in there is edible, but they find it so much easier to get a full stomach when they park in front of the feeding station. Its much harder to get full when you have to take a few bites, walk, take some more bites...who wouldn't rather have it handed to them on a platter?

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
Thank you, Yvonne, for your thoughtful and relevant answer to my question. I find such hard to come by in reptile forums. My "big" gal eats it all, but now she will choose the grass I have been seeding into my yard over okra, weeds, fruits, and more in most instances. She'll park her butt somewhere and take down a patch and then move on to another. Similar to my Sulcatas, but with less active roaming. Sit-meal-sit instead of walk-bite-walk.

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
mine grazes on dandilions, never just grass, maybe a nibble. I planted kale, and lettus in the babies enclosure, to get them use to grazing a little. it seemed to work. they still go to the "feeding spot" when i put food, but when its non food day, they will graze, also noticed them getting more and more interested in eating passing slugs and snails. They are about 2.5 years old now, give or take

Status
Not open for further replies.