Anyone ever use a cat water dispensor for red foots?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hustler

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Alberta Canada Eh
I was thinking I would like to make a fresh water dish other than the big tub for soaking for my redfoots.
Anyone ever try those cat dishes with the water bottle that keeps it full? Im sure I would have to fasten it somehow before they knocked it over but would they use it?
Any ideas or opinions would be appreciated :)

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Never have, but I don't see why it wouldn't work.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
Very rarely do any of my tortoises reach their heads over the edge and drink. They almost always sit in the water and submerge their heads.

You could try it but I would absolutely keep a dish that they can climb into fully as well.

Hustler

5 Year Member
Alberta Canada Eh
Well thats why i figured a cat sized water dispenser, none of my redfoots could fit into it lol and it has a lower dish so they should reach the water?
They still have a big water pool as well I just wanted to try and make something works that will stay clean for a whole day

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Mine loves to both soak and drink out of his water bowl, another source of water can't hurt.

Tropical Torts

10 Year Member!
Northwest FL
I actually like the idea. If you make the top of the dish portion level with the substrate then i see no reason why your RF's wouldnt use it. It also might add some humidity do your enclsure( assuming its and indoor). I really like the idea, let us know how it works out.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
I don't see that it will accomplish what you want. They won't drink from it unless it is pretty much flush and easy to reach into, and most of the soiling will come from substrate, food, and feces dropped or drug into it.

Hustler

5 Year Member
Alberta Canada Eh
well my water pan is a bit of a climb and they are always dragging stuff into it, I even used slate to try and cut that down but cypress turns the water brown pretty quick. Im trying to cut down on daily water changes and them having fresh water at all times. I know if I throw an air stone in it they will mess with it forever so Maybe that will con them into drinking it.
It cant hurt right :)

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
I agree, ours like to drink at ground level or a close as possible. Creative thought!

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
Changing water daily or multiple times a day is just a fact of having tortoises. I'm not trying to be rude or anything, but you are just going to have to get used to it ;)

Hustler

5 Year Member
Alberta Canada Eh
I am more than fine changing it daily, But if there is a way to offer them a second cleaner dish to choose from I dont see why that wouldnt be a better option? say while im at work and there is a giant log (not wood) floating in thier big tub..... they would love a fresh bowl right then and there im sure :)

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
I am just not sure I see how this keeps the water cleaner. It will keep it FULL, but...

I have to admit that while I am in favor of a clean water dish, I don't always do mine daily- sometimes it can go a week between cleanings... unless there is something nasty in there.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
That is my point. In order for them to even attempt to drink out of it, it has to be level with the substrate. That means that even if they can't climb in it, they can still climb OVER it, dragging substrate and feces etc. in to the water. It will have a constant full level, but it is going to be just as dirty as if they were sitting in it.

Clean water is one thing I am a stickler on. Everyone, the dogs, cats, torts, birds, get fresh water and their bowls scrubbed out every day.

Fernando

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Is this sort of what your thinking of? This is a picture from one of the breeders here. (bcurtis)

4d702bfc5243be0fd500021e.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.