Anyone feed cockscomb?

SPILL

Location (City and/or State)
Illinois
Tortoise table lists as a do not feed due to oxalates and saponins. It seems that many people feed plants with oxalates and there seems to be doubt as to the harmfulness of saponins to tortoises. According to wikipedia some saponins can aid in animal digestion and enhance nutrient absorption. The genus Celosia is also noted by wikipedia to be a nutritious foodstuff and is commonly grown as a vegetable throughout much of Africa. Has anyone used this as a mix-it-up type occasional option?

I also found this article touting the micronutrients of Celosia species. https://www.aimspress.com/fileOther/PDF/agriculture/agrfood-04-02-458.pdf

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
It’s in the amaranth family. I feed amaranth on occasion without concern. I’m one of those people that doesn’t worry about oxalates in a varied diet. My tortoise rarely eats it but I still offer it.

Lambsquarters is in the same family and one that you’ll see fed if you search through the forums. I also found a a couple of references to cockscomb as well, with statements from very experienced owners who are comfortable with it.