Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
This single plant popped up in my "Testudo Mix" seed bed. It is not anything that has ever shown up wild at my place, so I think it is part of the mix, but I'd like to know for sure, in case it blew in on the wind or something. The leaves have a pretty strong smell to them. Thanks.
nyiakg.jpg

5fr7dg.jpg

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
emysemys said:
Looks like zinnia to me.

That was my first thought too. The leaves look like zinnia as well.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I've been comparing pics of leaves and flowers for pot marigolds and zinnia. There is so much variability that I just can't tell. Both are listed as edible on two plant lists though.

I think I have a clue to the mystery. I remember seeing these crazy looking seeds in my seed mix when I planted it. It really stuck in my mind since I've never seen anything like this.
dnnbk1.jpg

These are the seeds of Calendula, or pot marigold. I found this seed pic on wikipedia. Thanks everyone. My tortoises will be eating some orange flowers today.

redbeef

5 Year Member
Tom said:
I've been comparing pics of leaves and flowers for pot marigolds and zinnia. There is so much variability that I just can't tell. Both are listed as edible on two plant lists though.

I think I have a clue to the mystery. I remember seeing these crazy looking seeds in my seed mix when I planted it. It really stuck in my mind since I've never seen anything like this.
dnnbk1.jpg

These are the seeds of Calendula, or pot marigold. I found this seed pic on wikipedia. Thanks everyone. My tortoises will be eating some orange flowers today.

I was thinking Calendula as well, but you are definitely right: the difference between them and Zinnia can be really hard to tell

redbeef said:
Tom said:

dnnbk1.jpg

I was thinking Calendula as well, but you are definitely right: the difference between them and Zinnia can be really hard to tell

Zinnia seeds look more like marigold seeds as well: kind of like little darts or parachutes w/the fuzz on the top

Status
Not open for further replies.