anyone knows this ?

leopard777

5 Year Member
thanks ,is this the one koala bears like to eat ? is it tort safe ?

Iochroma

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
San Francisco
This one is from Western Australia - no koalas there. I bet it is distasteful. I would not try it.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Looks like I'm going to have to give up my crown (plant I.D. queen). I bow to you, Lochroma!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Shows how much I know...I thought your username was L ochroma. But now I see it's iochroma.

Beautiful picture. Never heard of it or seen it before.

Now that we truly do have a plant aficionado on board, I'm going to have to wait a few before answering the what-kind-of-plant-is-this threads. I hate to show my ignorance.

leopard777

5 Year Member
my bad , a bad pic , its night time ,had to use flash , the flower is white in colour , reflected off
i will get a better pic when daytime

leopard777

5 Year Member
happen to chance upon it , found it to be tridax daisy , anyone feed this ?

Prairie Mom

happen to chance upon it , found it to be tridax daisy , anyone feed this ?
Hi Leopard:) I had a hard time with your photos, but if it actually is a tridax daisy it is perfectly edible and harmless. Edible for people and I would let my tort eat it without any issues. Here's an edible weed website that gives it's nutrition info: http://www.eattheweeds.com/galinsoga-ciliata-quickweed-is-fast-food-2/ ***I just really want to caution you to be totally certain that this is tridax daisy, because this plant has a very similar looking relative ( Tridax procumbers) that to my understanding is POISONOUS to everyone. I'm not super familiar with the Tridax procumbers and am not sure how to tell the difference, so I would encourage you to really investigate and make sure it isn't the non-edible relative.

leopard777

5 Year Member
tridax daisy = tridax procumbers , from what i search , is there a similar named weed ?

Prairie Mom

tridax daisy = tridax procumbers , from what i search , is there a similar named weed ?
Huh, I have a handy-dandy edible weed guide that I'll take a gander at. I have been thinking that "tridax daisy" is also named "quick weed." I'll see what I can find and get back to you.

Prairie Mom

Yes, you're totally right! Here's where the confusion came in...
They do BOTH look extremely similar. Procumbens supposedly has a "sprawling" effect. (?)

"Tridax Parviflora
Common names: Quick weed, Gallant soldier, Galinsoga, Puruvian daisy
Listed as Edible"

"Tridax Procumbens
Common names: *Tridax Daisy, Coat buttons
Listed as Medicinal
Tridax procumbens is known for several potential therapeutic activities like antiviral, antibiotic
efficacies; wound healing activity, insecticidal and anti-inflammatory activity (Suseela et al., 2002). The plantshas been extensively used in Ayurvadic system of medicine for various ailments and is shown to possesssignificant anti inflammatory, hepato-protective, wound healing and antimicrobial properties"
-------------
I found it a little confusing that tridax daisy (procumbens) is listed as "medicinal"-- does that mean you can you eat it!? I looked it up online a bit and it sounds like it is edible also. Whenever you look up edible weeds, there will always be places that say you cannot eat it, even if there are a million who say it is safe.There were some sites that said it isn't safe for animals because there was a study done where extracts were given to mice in large amounts for 14 days and it caused them to have problems, but I found way more that said it was fine.

I found this interesting...
http://pelagiaresearchlibrary.com/advances-in-applied-science/vol5-iss3/AASR-2014-5-3-411-416.pdf --this article shows lab results etc from a study that showed Tridax Daisy (procumbens -as you learned) can actually REDUCE CALCIUM OXALATE CRYSTAL GROWTH!

----------
Do what you think is best, but if it were in my yard, I'd definitely let my tort eat it. If it is Tridax Parviflora it has good nutrition, if it is Tridax Procumbens (eaten in small amts just to be safe) can actually reduce stones!
Hope this helps and sorry for the confusion!:D

leopard777

5 Year Member
ah thats the confusing part , some say good some say not good , maybe i feed it when it gets older , another search that i found http://www.researchgate.net/publica...pulation_of_Giant_Tortoises_in_the_Seychelles

another one ,

(i)wet weight nutrient analysis

stem
moisture : 88.30%
ash : 0.5%
crude protein : 4.38%
crude lipid : 0.1%
carbohydrate : 4.8%
crude fiber :: 1.92%
total metabolizable energy 37.62kcal/100g

leaf
moisture : 90.05%
ash : 0.2%
crude protein : 3.44%
crude lipid : 0.6%
carbohydrate : 5.1%
crude fiber :: 0.61%
total metabolizable energy 39.56kcal/100g

dry weight analysis (0% moisture) increases the amount of nutrients about tenfold each. (too lazy to type all here).

(ii) Mineral Composition (wet)
Calcium 2.09mg/kg
Magnesium 0.35mg/kg
Potassium 3.18mg/kg
Sodium 5.02mg/kg
Selenium 0.02mg/kg

contains moderate amount of alkaloids, flavonoids (catechin, flavones) & saponins, and high amount of carotenoids & tannins.
- from Jude et. al. (2009)

a very recent research by Sailaja, Bharathi & Prasad (2011) revealed that T. procumbens can be used to treat and prevent kidney stones.

there had however been a recorded case of green turtles (marine) been poisoned and died after being fed with the plant (Glazebrook and Campbell, 1990).

this mention that green turtles died :eek:

Last edited:

Prairie Mom

this mention that green turtles died :eek:

Aww..see...now, that's not cool! What I find the most frustrating is that everyone says they look alike, but you can't find real concrete descriptions that differentiate between them! o_O How are people supposed to know if they don't have two living specimens right in front of them!? Even the leaves and flowers supposedly look the same! If you find something that better tells you which plant is which, please post it. After everything we've read now, I would be curious to know.

I also re-tract my vote...I can do that, right?;) If we don't know exactly which is which and some random source somewhere says it killed a turtle--there's no way! I will pull them both, because there isn't enough description to differentiate between them.

Thanks, leopard! You're posting interesting stuff as USUAL:D