Anyone work at a zoo or can get me some info from one?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DoctorCosmonaut

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Oregon
I've been trying to get a list of what plants are planted in redfoot and yellowfoot enclosures in zoos. I have probably emailed close to 20 zoos, and maybe 4 have responded back to me, one of which appeared to have actually read the email and only gave me some basic plants they have around the zoo (not redfoot specific)... I don't want to know what plants are poisonous, I want to know what plants zoos have been successful with in redfoot/yellowfoot areas (maybe in their Rain forest exhibits). I want to know every plant from a giant tree to the grass. Anyone think they can get this info? I have failed to so far. Thanks anyone who can help!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
My zoo works closely with the Master Gardeners here in town. I'm sure they DON'T know toxic from non-toxic, however, the zoo is well-planted and quite pleasing to visit. Fresno's Chaffee Zoo. Maybe they can refer you to a Master Gardener for some help.

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
I think that you'd get more accurate information if you found a friend that you could email from Brazil. :D

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
emysemys said:
My zoo works closely with the Master Gardeners here in town. I'm sure they DON'T know toxic from non-toxic, however, the zoo is well-planted and quite pleasing to visit. Fresno's Chaffee Zoo. Maybe they can refer you to a Master Gardener for some help.

When I made the decision to leave San Diego, Chaffee was one of my choices. Didn't care for the zoo at all...except for the Reptile House...state of the art (for its time)...but not enough reason to move to Fresno!:p

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
DoctorCosmonaut said:
I've been trying to get a list of what plants are planted in redfoot and yellowfoot enclosures in zoos. I have probably emailed close to 20 zoos, and maybe 4 have responded back to me, one of which appeared to have actually read the email and only gave me some basic plants they have around the zoo (not redfoot specific)... I don't want to know what plants are poisonous, I want to know what plants zoos have been successful with in redfoot/yellowfoot areas (maybe in their Rain forest exhibits). I want to know every plant from a giant tree to the grass. Anyone think they can get this info? I have failed to so far. Thanks anyone who can help!

1. You probably wrote the wrong people. You need the groundskeepers or greenhouse people for that. I would also bet you get a pretty generic answer back.

2. The International Zoo Yearbook often has articles about Red-foots, In one older article, the National Zoo discusses the plants in a quick, off-hand sentence ("well-planted...") if I remember right. You might have better luck reviewing that.

3. Summertime in zoos is a busy time. You may want to retry this in the slower months.

I'm not really sure I see the point of your interest, and I say this as a research and data freak. You can get lists of some wild tortoise food and shelter plants from Pritchard's or Vinke's books, Moscovitz's dissertation, etc.

Wild Red-foots interact with many hundreds of plant species, some of which don't even have common English names and many may be unknown to science.

If we understood your main goal better, maybe we could help better?

DoctorCosmonaut

10 Year Member!
Oregon
Curiosity and future planting planning. The plants they have access to are more likely available than ones from Brazil. They would be documented and I can know they have been successful in their environment in a greenhouse/enclosure. I own Vinke's book and the plants in there, like you said, don't have English common names or I already have listed. I like master lists. I just want to be humored and perhaps act upon the list I can compile from zoos.

I asked that each email to be forwarded/attentioned to the horticulturists and herpetologists... I don't think it made it past the secretary.

elegans

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Call me if you want to. I have been raising Redfoots for close to 20 years and run a 70 acre nursery. Douglas 786-320-4730 cell 8am EST to 5pm EST

DoctorCosmonaut

10 Year Member!
Oregon
Elegans, thank you. I might call sometime soon, but would it be easier for you to just email me a list? :)

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
DoctorCosmonaut said:
Elegans, thank you. I might call sometime soon, but would it be easier for you to just email me a list? :)

This is sort of what I mean... if you asked this of me, I would be reluctant to compile a list of what may be several dozen to hundreds of species to forward you- lots of work to little reward ratio since your main issue is curiosity vs. some sort of research project. (Of course, if I had this as a list already on the computer, this is moot.)

I feel for you, though. I've written many people who run tortoise farms in Brazil, etc. for info with no replies.

It would seem that you might have better overall results for your planting purposes, if not your curiosity, if you take a list of known Red-foot and other tortoise-safe plants to your local extension service or horticulturalist and asked what would grow well locally and hold up to our bulldozers?

That is my plan for next year- I'm going to visit the local tourist attraction gardens and find myself someone on staff I can work with to figure out the right plants and methods to use for Omaha's climate- hopefully someone with an interest in 'turtles' and is enthusiastic about the idea. If I can't find someone there, I'll try the extension service, college, etc.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Dr. Cos... I would appreciate it if you would disregard that last reply. I made it late at night after an emergency room run for my mom (she's fine) and even then, I tried to cancel or erase it. Apparently without success.

Status
Not open for further replies.