Aquarium Enclosure?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AIRR04

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Illinois
How many people use an Aquarium? Im starting a build that is including a 40G breeder Critter Aquarium. Its going to have a finished tank stand worthy of being in the living room (other wise the wife would not allow it) with matching canopy specifically built with a tortoise in mind. i have a list of tools (toys) such as a day/night cycle light and so on. What I'm asking is for suggestions or problems you have run into that i should keep in mind as i begin my build.

Troy

AIRR04

5 Year Member
Illinois
I am going to get a Cherry Head Redfoot. I want to get a baby, I have mentioned it else where. It has been in two posts one was my introduction and the other was in response to another member that was thinking about getting a 40G tank with the same dimensions as the one i had just purchased. sorry i should have put the type tort in the description with the size but i was looking for lessons learned type of replies.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
I don't have RF's but several members use aquariums with very good results. Search for pics of TerryO's enclosures, hers are beautifully landscaped and would do your living room proud.
She recently redid hers due to tort growth and is using 125 and 75 gal sizes, and her RF's are thriving. They do go outside for the warmer months.
Here it is:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread-Pio-s-new-vivarium#axzz1gF174R6d

There are other great indoor RF enclosures, but this one comes to mind as one that uses an aquarium.

AIRR04

5 Year Member
Illinois
Thank you for posting the thread, I also fully intend to expand the enclosure as the tort grows.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Just checked out her tank, It looks amazing! Great inspiration thanks again!

tyler0912

5 Year Member
Blackburn, U.K.
I had a custom built tortoise-table.............Built for me and a 3piece plexiglass sliding door to go on top...
My 2 like it! :)

AIRR04

5 Year Member
Illinois
is it the one that is wooden with the movable hide? It looks great.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
The thing about tortoises is that they grow slow, but always seem to grow faster than the habitats do. I always seem to get trapped by that, and it is even worse when you do nice stands, etc. that look great now, but are a pain later on.

A 40g Breeder is 36x18. Using the rule of 8x4 shell lengths, this tank can hold about 4.5" of tortoise- that's about a yearling.

Aquaria are great for hatchlings- easy to maintain good humidity in, and warm- as long as it is covered pretty much. A few random thoughts that may help you...
- Plan on planting it really nicely. It will be prettier, more humid, and better for the tortoise. Ideally, you should have to work to find the animal in the habitat.
- I would probably do a small-chunk orchid bark (Douglas fir bark) for a habitat that size- good for humidity and pest control, easy to walk on, attractive.
- If the room it is in is coolish, you might want to consider adding under-substrate heating, either waterproof cables in the substrate, or an under-tank pad. This helps with ambient heat as well as really boosting humidity. Using a thermostatic heat controller is strongly recommended.
- I'd recommend a 18-24" long low-output UVB bulb, run with about a 12-18" 'daylight' or 'warm white' fluorescent bulb to get adequate, balanced light with UVB characteristics. If you set them on timers, consider doing the plain bulb for 10-12 hours a day, and the UVB for about 6-8ish.
- I'd do additional heat if needed with a ceramic heat emitter (CHE) if needed, also on a thermostatic controller.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Last year my daughter wanted me to set up a simple enclosure in her front room. She wanted it no bigger then a 40 gal breeder and be easy to keep up. This is what I did for her:

036-2.jpg

038-2.jpg

In the picture it shows three hatchling Cherryheads, but two then went into another enclosure.

AIRR04

5 Year Member
Illinois
Perfect post that is exactly the type of feed back I'm looking for. Thank you for tanking the time and all points are well received. Again I'm new and didn't know about the 8X4 rule Im not worried about moving or getting rid of the tank or tank stand. This is a hobby and I intend to have fun looking into the next enclosure. Thanks again.

Troy

Jacqui said:
Last year my daughter wanted me to set up a simple enclosure in her front room. She wanted it no bigger then a 40 gal breeder and be easy to keep up. This is what I did for her:

036-2.jpg

038-2.jpg

In the picture it shows three hatchling Cherryheads, but two then went into another enclosure.

Im glad to see the Ivy in there when i was getting closer to planting this was going to be one of my to choices in plants. Great work, thank you for photo examples.

Troy

tyler0912 said:
AIRR04 said:
is it the one that is wooden with the movable hide? It looks great.

That's the one! :D

could you post a picture of your sliding door? I would like to see the set up on that or PM me a pic. if there is a thread already i can go there to see your enclosure with the tort in it.

Troy

tyler0912

5 Year Member
Blackburn, U.K.
Well...the sliding door is getting setup tommorow it is a lid! :)

MY father is drilling it together as we speak shall pm you pics asap! :0

AIRR04

5 Year Member
Illinois
tyler0912 said:
Well...the sliding door is getting setup tommorow it is a lid! :)

MY father is drilling it together as we speak shall pm you pics asap! :0

Thanks

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Setting up tort enclosures is very satisfying, both inside and out!

I don't think that is Ivy in Jacqui's pic, it is a house plant that I can't remember the name of :rolleyes:, but is very common. (Although I have seen Ivy in some enclosures, I think it is on the 'do not feed' list).

Here is another good link for safe garden and house plants:
http://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/site/plants_19.asp

Have fun!

AIRR04

5 Year Member
Illinois
I appreciate the link, it may not be an ivy i will check it out a little better. just sitting on my hands right now, have to wait till pay day before i can begin the build of the stand and canopy. just staring at the tank is killing me.

M

Maggie Cummings

It's Pothos in Jacqui's tank. Grazing tortoises will eat it...

AIRR04

5 Year Member
Illinois
so turns out i have been calling that particular plant by the wrong name my whole life…….. thanks mom lol. it is what i was thinking but i was wrong by the name.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
AIRR04 said:
I appreciate the link, it may not be an ivy i will check it out a little better. just sitting on my hands right now, have to wait till pay day before i can begin the build of the stand and canopy. just staring at the tank is killing me.

All the better to plan :D

maggie3fan said:
It's Pothos in Jacqui's tank. Grazing tortoises will eat it...

That's it!

AIRR04 said:
so turns out i have been calling that particular plant by the wrong name my whole life…….. thanks mom lol. it is what i was thinking but i was wrong by the name.

At least you have been calling it by something other than "I can't remember", lol

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
AIRR04 said:

Give Mom a break, many folks commonly call it an ivy.

Status
Not open for further replies.