Aquatic Turtles Help!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

skmackley2

5 Year Member
hey, i am thinking of making a palidaurm, i dunno how you spell it but its half land / half water, i am thinking of getting these turtles from a experienced pet shop by me, they stay reasonably small, but any others for a 16 litre tank, not 16 gallon, 16litre, tell me! [/size][/font]but if i put a heater in would be a aquarium heater for fish or a basking bulb? does it have to be on 24/7 this heater because tortoises ones switch of at night? so if i had a 5-10-30 mins power cut would it be okay? like horsefield tortoises dont mind, so yeh thanks for any advice!

this in the wrong topic how can i change it to go to the turtle sections?

sibi

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Florida, USA
With aquatic turtles, you need both a water heater only if there is enough water to support it and the water/air temp is below 70 degrees. (usually during winter months). Also, a uvb bulb is necessary both for basking and for needed UV rays. That bulb is only needed to be on for about 10-12 hours daily. You can set a timer for both the bulb and the heater. You will also need a water temp gauge to measure temps. Note that most aquatics don't like it too hot (above 85 degrees). My question is, what kind of turtles are you getting? It makes a big difference for temps. Also, I am wondering why you don't use a floating platform for the turtles. The reason I ask is because water turtles get very dirty and fouls the water quickly. With the half land and half water thing, it would require you to empty out the water every month or so. That's a lot of work every month, and believe me you'll get tired of cleaning it out and setting it up again and again.

skmackley2

5 Year Member
Surely I can just put a bulb or a aquarium heater in. The bulb will warm both spot and water up, the heater will heat water and the vapour will be warm so it'll make aquarium hot, I don't know? But they were so small!

Will they survive a 10-30 min power cut in day or night?

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Of course they'll survive a 30 min. power cut. You do need to get the UV bulb for basking. The heater is only necessary IF the water temps get too cold like in the winter months. If the water level is too small for a heater, then don't put one in. But, aquatic turtles like to dip and swim in a lot of water. Please don't put only a few inches of water in the tank. They need more water, and a platform to bask in if they desire it. Do you know what kind of turtles you're planning to get?
skmackley2 said:
Surely I can just put a bulb or a aquarium heater in. The bulb will warm both spot and water up, the heater will heat water and the vapour will be warm so it'll make aquarium hot, I don't know? But they were so small!

Will they survive a 10-30 min power cut in day or night?

skmackley2

5 Year Member
Okay thanks! My mum says they're to hard work keeping them, she doesn't want any more swimming things because I just got a tortoise?

Diamondbacks4Life

5 Year Member
Pennsylvania
Id say dont get them, and stick with your tortoise. I feel aquatic turtles are harder to deal with because of the water part and having to keep it clean.

If aren't serious with keeping up with keeping the water clean they can get fungus and many other issues pretty easy. Turtle need large swimming room, a half and half tank is not a goof idea.

redfoot_mama94

5 Year Member
Maine, USA
If you are planning on aquatics you'll need to invest in an aquarium, it will need to have a dock or a large pile of rocks to bask on while still leaving swimming room. What kind of turt do you plan to keep? A lot of species would do better in a fenced in outdoor pond with a haul out space, or a stock tub or rubbermaid even.

That aside, each type of turt will need specific water cleanliness, water temp, basking and air temps.

1.1 human baby's (grayson & mackenzie)
1.1 bunnies
0.1 eastern painted (wendy)
0.1 treeing walker coonhound (daisy)
0.1.5 mainecoon mix (vera & her kittens)

Status
Not open for further replies.