are banana leaf toxic to tortoises

Status
Not open for further replies.

wildponey21

5 Year Member
i was at at wegmans and saw they have banana leaves for sale . i was wondering if they are ok to give to my torts.

pugsandkids

10 Year Member!
Ha, I don't think I'll ever find those in our stores! Good to know though.

zesty_17

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Florida
banana leaves are ok for torts... but do not confuse them with bird of paradise (looks similar, because that is toxic). Our torts love banana leaves though.

Katherine

5 Year Member
Tortoises are not good for banana leaves, they mow my trees right to the ground! But yes, as others said, safe food item!

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
katherine said:
Tortoises are not good for banana leaves, they mow my trees right to the ground! But yes, as others said, safe food item!

:)

wildponey21

5 Year Member
for any one that lives in Rochester NY we have wegmens. They are the top store to shope in for food and so on in the usa. They carry catus pads and many many differnt fruits and greens along with anything else. they have a few stores in pa if you go to
www.wegmans.com They will special oder things for you like for me they care cactus pads and aloe leaves and more let me know what you think.

socialworker81

5 Year Member
Sometimes I find cactus fruit at the wegmans here in PA. My torts go crazy for it :) I do love all the wonderful things I can find for them to eat there!

wildponey21

5 Year Member
well if yo ask they will spceal oder them for you and if you buy the case they will give a discount for
buying in bulk

socialworker81

5 Year Member
Thanks for letting me know! If I buy a case of cactus fruit, my torts will think they have won the lottery. Lol. I will have to look into the cactus pads though. I have only seen them in the store once, and it was many many years ago...

fiftyfive

5 Year Member
Ottawa, Ontario
I grow my own bananas and was happy to find my red foot enjoys a leaf or two... more like part of a leaf as they (banana leaves) are so big. Does anyone know the feeding frequency or dietary properties of banana plant leaves? Like I said, I grow a few banana plants and have a good supply of them, therefore I do not want to over-do it and I dont want to limit the use if it is good as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.