Are carnations okay to eat?

Status
Not open for further replies.

melly_87

5 Year Member
My Russian tort roams around my backyard and I have a few carnation plants lining the fence. He actually ate a few, like the bulb andnthe petals, and I was wondering if it's safe for him to eat it. Like, could I just give it to him as a treat or mix it in with his other food?

On that note, I read that they need a varied diet. Recently, I got a lot of kale because all I had was cabbage the first few days I had my tort and Ii know it isn't the best thing for him. Should I keep feeding him just kale until I run out and then get a different vegetable, and repeat the process? Or should I mix every single vegetable in a salad every day? I'm a little confused on how that works.

Thanks for any help!!

hunterk997

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Wayland, NY
I'm not sure on the carnations, but the diet, it's omay to feed the same vegetables until they are all eaten, then get a different the next time. It doesn't have to be different every day.

Sent from my Ipod using the tortoiseforum app

melly_87

5 Year Member
Thanks so much for the info and that link! It's very helpful! He doesn't have the carnations often; only when he happens to wander into that side of my backyard, but I'm glad they're okay for him to eat.

And about the diet, so it's okay to feed him only one kind of vegetable for a few days and then switch over to a new vegetable?

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
wellington said:
mainey34 said:
Carnation flowers are eatible.

Yes, but with caution. As to how much and what not to feed with it, according to the tortoisetable.org
Per Yvonne's response on a thread about carnations. It is ok to feed.....
Per Toms response, yes it is ok to eat carnations.

WillTort2

5 Year Member
As far as feeding one type leafy vegetable at a time. I like to buy 2 different vegetables and alternate one day at a time. It may help avoid spoilage if you are eating some of the same vegetables; might even be good for you! :)

PS; mix in some good weeds and leaves. Grape leaves, mulberry leaves, and numerous weeds including dandelions.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The trouble with carnations is that they usually come from Florists and are sprayed with who knows what. Since you are growing them yourself and they are pesticide and chemical free they are fine.

About your other question: Russians should be eating mostly weeds. Grocery store food is okay, but not the best if you have other options. In our plant ID section there is a thread showing all sorts of common weeds and which ones are good or bad. Also look for grape leaves, hibiscus leaves, mulberry leaves and occasional spineless opuntia pads.

At the store, favor endive and escarole. Mix in occasional mustard, collard or turnip greens, cilantro, carrot tops, collard greens, spring mix and Santa Barbara mix.

Status
Not open for further replies.