Are large tortoises superior?

ShellyTheTortoise71

Hi everybody. Right now, I have two rf tortoises. I just found out that I'm allowed to get another this Christmas :D. So this my question. Can I keep my two smaller tortoises with my larger tortoise? I have read about certain tortoise bullying other tortoises. Will this happen if I have two small tortoises and one large? I want them all the be happy/safe. Thanks.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
What's the size of your large one and small one. If you plan on getting a hatchling at xmas time, then no, that one should not go in with your two others as they will be much bigger then a hatchling. Once they all get to a larger size and with a huge enclosure, then they may be able to live together.

ShellyTheTortoise71

What's the size of your large one and small one. If you plan on getting a hatchling at xmas time, then no, that one should not go in with your two others as they will be much bigger then a hatchling. Once they all get to a larger size and with a huge enclosure, then they may be able to live together.

My large tortoise is 7 inches long and my younger ones aren't more than 3 inches. They wouldn't live together until the youngsters are at least an inch or two bigger.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
With Redfoot, you never know who will emerge as the ALPHA. With my seven, the "KING" is a smallish female. It's because she was the first to live in the pen. I would have no issue keeping a 7 incher in with two 4 inchers as long as the smaller ones live in the enclosure first.
It's been my observation and experience that Redfoot are less scrappy and more tolerant than most species if: 1 given enough room to live apart in the same pen. 2 kept in a group of at least three.
You will need a considerably large pen. You have the room?

ShellyTheTortoise71

With Redfoot, you never know who will emerge as the ALPHA. With my seven, the "KING" is a smallish female. It's because she was the first to live in the pen. I would have no issue keeping a 7 incher in with two 4 inchers as long as the smaller ones live in the enclosure first.
It's been my observation and experience that Redfoot are less scrappy and more tolerant than most species if: 1 given enough room to live apart in the same pen. 2 kept in a group of at least three.
You will need a considerably large pen. You have the room?

Do you think 16' by 16' is enough for 3?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Yes at that size. Provide half buried flower pots placed sideways so that everyone can have a place to hide and small shrubs for shade.
I also have a shallow basking pool.

Attachments

• 20150611_171016.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 18
  • 20150722_171907.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 15