2nd baby Redoot found

Wadadli Gurl

Location (City and/or State)
Antigua & Barbuda
View attachment 138345 I live in the Caribbean and keep redfooot tortoises. I used to let them roam free on my property, but they go missing, weather they find a way out or are being stolen, I am not certain. In April I created a large enclosure and placed the two remaining tortoises in it. I started with4 adults and 2 juveniles. I now have 1 adult and 1 juvenile. Two weeks ago I was excited to discover a baby wandering in the yard. He was so tiny, I was reluctant to put him in the enclosure with the larger ones. So I created a habitat in a large shallow plastic storage bin, yesterday a second baby was discovered, pretty much the same size, but when placed next to the first, it was apparent that the first one found looked 'dry'
What I hope to find out if I should be concerned, could this be a problem, or is it just a characteristical difference I'm noticing between the two.

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
How lucky to find them just wandering your yard. I would love to see photos!

Carol S

10 Year Member!
Alta Loma, CA
Welcome to the Forum. How exciting to find two little tortoises in your yard.

Wadadli Gurl

Antigua & Barbuda
Had a nest in the yard, after 4 months we thought the eggs were not fertile, we excavated the nest and kept the 3 eggs in a flower pot buried with the soil they were laid in. These eggs were laid February 22nd. Two were bad, but last night I noticed the last one had begin to hatch. Baby has a dented shell though, I wonder if it will correct itself. image.jpg

allegraf

10 Year Member!
Had a nest in the yard, after 4 months we thought the eggs were not fertile, we excavated the nest and kept the 3 eggs in a flower pot buried with the soil they were laid in. These eggs were laid February 22nd. Two were bad, but last night I noticed the last one had begin to hatch. Baby has a dented shell though, I wonder if it will correct itself. View attachment 141348
They will straighten out over the next week or two. They are adorable! Nothing better than finding the little ones unexpectedly.

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Sweeett......!. Congrads and a nice looking baby ..... as Mrs. Allegra mentioned , they will " form out " within a few weeks" .... it's always interesting to see the bends in Carapace/Plastron from being curled up in the egg.....Some more than others ... I assume it's like " Dimples" ;):p

Wadadli Gurl

Antigua & Barbuda
Sweeett......!. Congrads and a nice looking baby ..... as Mrs. Allegra mentioned , they will " form out " within a few weeks" .... it's always interesting to see the bends in Carapace/Plastron from being curled up in the egg.....Some more than others ... I assume it's like " Dimples" ;):p

What about the little sack on its underside, what happens to it and how long does it take?

allegraf

10 Year Member!
What about the little sack on its underside, what happens to it and how long does it take?
Those are the egg sacs, they will absorb all the nutrients in them and it will creat a seam on their plastron which will seal. Just be careful not to pop the egg sac as that will usually end in fatality to the hatchling. It takes anywhere from two to four days to absorb.