ARE MY SULCATAS OBESE???

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Your sullies look just great. Our Sully is just over two years and tips the scale at 30 lbs, but i don't think we'll get to 100 too soon. I'm sure your great Florida weather, and feeding regime, contributes a lot. Good going, keep it up.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Your sullies look just great. Our Sully is just over two years and tips the scale at 30 lbs, but i don't think we'll get to 100 too soon. I'm sure your great Florida weather, and feeding regime, contributes a lot. Good going, keep it up.
Looking great and feeling great has always been my concern with these two boys. Yes, they may look great from the outside, but I wonder what's going on in the inside. I wonder if there isn't rolls of fat around their heart :( I don't even have data from other sullies that may be in a similar situation for comparison.

TheSulcata

Ha, you don't have to worry about fat wrapping around their heart. Most people feed their torts as much as they want because they are a grazing species and they eat a TON in the wild so ur good

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
Looking great and feeling great has always been my concern with these two boys. Yes, they may look great from the outside, but I wonder what's going on in the inside. I wonder if there isn't rolls of fat around their heart :( I don't even have data from other sullies that may be in a similar situation for comparison.

Are they eating high fat diets? I'm under the impression that you can't overfeed healthy foods.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Well
Are they eating high fat diets? I'm under the impression that you can't overfeed healthy foods.
Well, no. I don't even know what's fat food for torts. But, there is such a thing as too much of a good thing. Look, I just don't know that there's any sulcatas that weigh that much at just 4 years old. According to Tom, this may be unprecedented in that there may not be any I can compare with my torts. And, unless they have Sudanese genetics, they should top off at about 130 lbs. If so, they've only got 30-40 lbs more to go during the rest of their long lives. I can't see that happening unless they're obese and/or this has rarely happened. So, yeah, I'm worried.

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
Well
Well, no. I don't even know what's fat food for torts. But, there is such a thing as too much of a good thing. Look, I just don't know that there's any sulcatas that weigh that much at just 4 years old. According to Tom, this may be unprecedented in that there may not be any I can compare with my torts. And, unless they have Sudanese genetics, they should top off at about 130 lbs. If so, they've only got 30-40 lbs more to go during the rest of their long lives. I can't see that happening unless they're obese and/or this has rarely happened. So, yeah, I'm worried.

It honestly sounds like to me they are getting ideal care. I think they look amazing, and I think your worrying too much.

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby

I wouldn't be shocked if yours hits 100 at 4.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
I don't own this type of tortoise. So you can take this for what it's worth. But if you are worried about them growing too fast then I would just cut out the mazuri. Maybe just offer it a couple times a week or cut back on the amount daily. In the wild they probably wouldn't come across the best grazing etc. on a daily basis like they do in captivity. And it sounds like you have a great place to keep them.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
I don't own this type of tortoise. So you can take this for what it's worth. But if you are worried about them growing too fast then I would just cut out the mazuri. Maybe just offer it a couple times a week or cut back on the amount daily. In the wild they probably wouldn't come across the best grazing etc. on a daily basis like they do in captivity. And it sounds like you have a great place to keep them.
That's what I'm gonna do. I just won't look at their expecting eyes when I don't give them mazuri. They'll just have to eat hay and enjoy their greens and other store bought foods.

surfergirl

My guy is over 100 lbs and shell length of about 28 inches I would guess. He is 21 years old this December. He was not that heavy at four years but seems to still be growing and gaining weight still.
The only concern I have on the weight side is that a bladder stone might add weight. I see my guys urates and they are liquid but since he has never seen a vet, never been xrayed I worry about how I can be sure. I do not like the idea of him seeing a vet or having an xray if he doesn't need one though. If yours has been checked by vets I would think they are just healthy boogers.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Y
My guy is over 100 lbs and shell length of about 28 inches I would guess. He is 21 years old this December. He was not that heavy at four years but seems to still be growing and gaining weight still.
The only concern I have on the weight side is that a bladder stone might add weight. I see my guys urates and they are liquid but since he has never seen a vet, never been xrayed I worry about how I can be sure. I do not like the idea of him seeing a vet or having an xray if he doesn't need one though. If yours has been checked by vets I would think they are just healthy boogers.
Yes and no. Yes, he's seen a vet and has been x-rayed, but the x-rays are not the greatest and the vet didn't know what to make of it. In other words, I couldn't find out anything about any possible stone. So, I'm not so sure he's as healthy as he looks. It's my greatest fear that years down the road, he gets real sick and dies from a stone that has grown over years.
My husband is jn the process of shortening the file name of the x-rays pic that were taken back in March of this year. Those x-rays show something, but I'm not sure what. He was having digestion problems and diarrhea at the time.

surfergirl

Oh but my guy just started getting mazuri in the last two years, mainly grass / weeds while young and grass/Bermuda hay after he was about 6- 8 " long. I only feed mazuri 1 to 2 times weekly he still mostly eats fresh cut grass or Bermuda hay. He graze some as well but most of his intake has less moisture / lots of fiber hay. I have to provide lots of water / pool holes so he gets the moisture. :)
Your guys probably carry more water weight also with the Florida humidity.

surfergirl

We share the same fear. This sully is like my kid cause I never Ihad any. Animals and nieces and nephews kept me busy
my husband and I call him our college kid cause if we had a child when we got him they would be a junior about to graduate. Lol!

I would love to have him live so long we need three generations or more to care for him. :)

MichiganFrog

5 Year Member
Northwest Florida
I don't know that I'd call either of our torts obese, but I have to say that Honey Boy acts kind of like a professional body builder who's having a really bad day. You see, he seems to enjoy working out with cinder blocks. For example, today he knocked over the upper row of the cinder blocks that make up part of the wall of his pen. From there, he worked his way around the back of the shed, and toppled over another row of cinder blocks to come out in Beasty Boy's pen.

Of course, he was probably looking to find Baby Runt. When we arrived, Honey Boy was doing his dominance display to Beasty Boy, and, thankfully, no one was injured. But now I'm going to have to spend a good part of the weekend reinforcing the walls of Honey Boy's pen. What's really amazing is that, if Honey Boy had turned to the left at the tree behind the shed, then he would have ended up in Baby Runt's pen, and that would have been a real disaster. The good news is that we're planning to move Baby Runt to her new house far away from the boys this weekend.

Hormones are an obvious factor to explain Honey Boy's behavior, but I kind of wonder whether he isn't just bored, too. Once Baby Runt is in her new home, I'm hoping that the boys will settle down a little. Then I may consider some other ideas for addressing Honey Boy's boredom issue. I'd like to plant some plants or make a maze or something like that to occupy his mind. Does anyone have any good ideas along those lines?

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
I don't know that I'd call either of our torts obese, but I have to say that Honey Boy acts kind of like a professional body builder who's having a really bad day. You see, he seems to enjoy working out with cinder blocks. For example, today he knocked over the upper row of the cinder blocks that make up part of the wall of his pen. From there, he worked his way around the back of the shed, and toppled over another row of cinder blocks to come out in Beasty Boy's pen.

Of course, he was probably looking to find Baby Runt. When we arrived, Honey Boy was doing his dominance display to Beasty Boy, and, thankfully, no one was injured. But now I'm going to have to spend a good part of the weekend reinforcing the walls of Honey Boy's pen. What's really amazing is that, if Honey Boy had turned to the left at the tree behind the shed, then he would have ended up in Baby Runt's pen, and that would have been a real disaster. The good news is that we're planning to move Baby Runt to her new house far away from the boys this weekend.

Hormones are an obvious factor to explain Honey Boy's behavior, but I kind of wonder whether he isn't just bored, too. Once Baby Runt is in her new home, I'm hoping that the boys will settle down a little. Then I may consider some other ideas for addressing Honey Boy's boredom issue. I'd like to plant some plants or make a maze or something like that to occupy his mind. Does anyone have any good ideas along those lines?
Hey, did you just steal my thread? Go post this under Honey boy' thread:p

MichiganFrog

5 Year Member
Northwest Florida
Hey, did you just steal my thread? Go post this under Honey boy' thread:p

Sorry, yes, I did post to your thread. Not trying to hijack it or anything like that... Honey Boy doesn't have his own thread yet, but he probably should. :p

MichiganFrog

5 Year Member
Northwest Florida
Yes he should. I would follow along. I especially love to hear the exploits of other Michigan tortoises.

There's a story behind my "Michigan Frog" handle. It's taken from the Looney Tunes character, and I don't think I've ever actually been to Michigan. (I wouldn't mind going someday if I have the chance). Sibi and I are here in the Gulf coast of Florida.