are these bladder stones?????

lismar79

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ohio USA
My 16 month sulcata lives in her water dish. Spends at least an hr or more in it every day. The last couple of days I have found stone like pieces mixed in with poo in her water. The poo is normal, the stones are not. Are these bladder stones? They have a chaulk like feel and are white when broken up.
She is very hydrated and diet is hay, mazuri a few times a week, store greens ( only for the winter) grass I'm growing but not a lot ( black thumb...) mulberry leaves both dried and fresh, habiscus leaves, and squash once a week. Does not get as much excersize now that its winter but she walks a path in her enclosure for a few hrs a day as well. 20141211_180356.jpg
Should I fource soak her? She really does soak her self daily so I assumed all was well. Its a lot of these stones in her dish the past three days! Acting normal still.
Vet apt Monday. Any advice is welcome.

G-stars

5 Year Member
Southern California
Could it have been anything she eat? Like small rocks? It kind of looks like calcium deposits to me. Are they hard or kind of mushy?

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
This is the stone my "little pig" Sulcata discharged sometime ago.

IMG_1378.JPG IMG_1379.JPG IMG_1380.JPG

The large one is about 1CM. I think what you have is some small rock s/he eat. Mine eats small piece of rock some time too, My wife hurried and try to stop him but he swallow it already.

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
That does not look like what I have at all....hmmm I do not have any rock near her and since its winter here and she's inside 24/7 I can say that for sure. Is it possible that its chunks of calcium she did not process? I do break up small pc of home made cacium blocks for her and that's about the right size. The plot thickens .....

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
What you've shown us is actual stones the tortoise has ingested. If you push on a bladder stone with your fingernail you can flake it apart.

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
Oh wow! Thanks for the reply. It has to be the calcium block then, its the only thing she has access to..... anything I can do to help process this along????
Should I keep the vet appt?