Are these bulbs ok? (Pics)

bextort

5 Year Member
I've just purchased these two bulbs as my tortoise is now indoors and as it's my first winter with her I am not letting her hibernate.
ImageUploadedByTortForum1382186160.199678.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortForum1382186187.689263.jpg

She currently has a bulb which isn't uvb (I think) and just provides heat which wasn't a problem before the winter set in as she spent majority of the time outdoors however she isn't spending much time outdoors now due to poor weather. I don't have the lamp on at night time, only a heat mat and the temps are dropping.

Any advice/ guidance much appreciated :)
Are these coil bulbs? (Not clued up with bulbs haha )

Last edited by a moderator:

Sterling Thunder

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ashburn, VA
The ceramic heater is fine, however the coil bulb is discouraged as they are bad for the torts eyes. There is moderate debate about the newer coil bulbs not having the problems as the manufacturers have adjusted but there is no definitive information toward the positive. All that said, it probably isn't worth chancing just yet on the coil.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Ditto to what is already posted. We still see a lot of torts having eye problems with the coil bulbs. We don't know if they are still the old bad bulbs or the new (not suppose to be bad) bulbs. However, it's just not worth the risk. There are better bulbs available anyway. The Mercury Vapor Bulb although not cheap, will give you the most UVB of any bulb and will last a year before needing replacing.

rhondak

10 Year Member!
Ohio
I got my first russian tort last December and bought the coil type bulb and had to stop using it because it was causing my torts eyes to swell. I think I used it for about a week and than stopped. I bought it thinking it would be okay and thought since I had read that the "newer" models were fine, apparently they are not. I use a T8 flourescent Repti sun bulb for the UVB now.

FLINTUS

5 Year Member
Watery Wiltshire in the UK
It was mainly the cheap Chinese imported coil bulbs which had the problem, but it is a risk. While MVBs used to be the best lighting, the new T5 technology in the tubes are by far and away the best available. The Arcadia website is the place to go for lighting explanations.

james1974

5 Year Member
Illinois
As long as the bulb is used at the right distance and hangs vertically not from the side with a champ it will work just fine.Iv been using them for year's never seen or had any issues with them.If you hang it from a clamp on side then your reptile stairs in it and that's where you can have a problem, that's with any bulb that's uvb, just make sure to hang it vertically at the right distance.I use zoomed compacts and go by their chart they recommended for all their uvb bulbs including mvb bulbs as well.No problem here just saving money.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
FLINTUS said:
It was mainly the cheap Chinese imported coil bulbs which had the problem...

This is not true. I've seen it will all of them.

james1974 said:
As long as the bulb is used at the right distance and hangs vertically not from the side with a champ it will work just fine.Iv been using them for year's never seen or had any issues with them.If you hang it from a clamp on side then your reptile stairs in it and that's where you can have a problem, that's with any bulb that's uvb, just make sure to hang it vertically at the right distance.I use zoomed compacts and go by their chart they recommended for all their uvb bulbs including mvb bulbs as well.No problem here just saving money.

This is not correct either. Many manufacturers state they are supposed to be mounted sideways and the vertical mount is the source of the problem.

The issue here is that not ALL of these bulbs cause a problem. Only some of them do. You have been lucky to not get one of the "bad" bulbs, but over the course of many years and seeing many people use them, too many bad bulbs have popped up for me to feel comfortable using or recommending them. There is no way to know if the bulb you are buying is one of the "okay" bulbs or one of the problem bulbs until your tortoise eyes are burnt. It's safer to just use a long tube type or MVB that is not going to hurt the tortoises eyes, rather than play a game of chance with the coil bulbs when your tortoises eyes are on the line.

Bextort, I would not use the coil bulbs. Much safer to use a long tube type florecsent UV bulb or a mercury vapor bulb for UV.

The CHE should be used with a thermostat too, and it will maintain your ambient temps day and night with not light. You will still need a basking lamp with this strategy.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
Tom said:
This is not correct either. Many manufacturers state they are supposed to be mounted sideways and the vertical mount is the source of the problem.

Which manufacturers? Every one that I've checked either explicitly or implicitly say horizontal or vertical is fine.

james1974

5 Year Member
Illinois
Re: RE: Are these bulbs ok? (Pics)

Tom said:
FLINTUS said:

james1974 said:

The issue here is that not ALL of these bulbs cause a problem. Only some of them do. You have been lucky to not get one of the "bad" bulbs, but over the course of many years and seeing many people use them, too many bad bulbs have popped up for me to feel comfortable using or recommending them. There is no way to know if the bulb you are buying is one of the "okay" bulbs or one of the problem bulbs until your tortoise eyes are burnt. It's safer to just use a long tube type or MVB that is not going to hurt the tortoises eyes, rather than play a game of chance with the coil bulbs when your tortoises eyes are on the line.

Bextort, I would not use the coil bulbs. Much safer to use a long tube type florecsent UV bulb or a mercury vapor bulb for UV.

The CHE should be used with a thermostat too, and it will maintain your ambient temps day and night with not light. You will still need a basking lamp with this strategy.

Well I have disused this with zoomed,and recommended vertically mounted over head rather than using a clamp side mounted that's all I can tell ya.You all do what you will I do the way there designed to be used.Just trying to pass on what the manufacturer recommended.

jaizei said:
Tom said:

Which manufacturers? Every one that I've checked either explicitly or implicitly say horizontal or vertical is fine.

Email zoomed you get your answer!

james1974 said:
Tom said:
FLINTUS said:

james1974 said:

Well I have disused this with zoomed,and recommended vertically mounted over head rather than using a clamp side mounted that's all I can tell ya.You all do what you will I do the way there designed to be used.Just trying to pass on what the manufacturer recommended.

jaizei said:
Tom said:

Email zoomed you get your answer!

I personally email zoomed and that's what they recommended,email them yourself, or message them on Facebook they will tell you!

james1974

5 Year Member
Illinois
You can use the horizontal fixtures because the bulbs are hanging over head rather than from the side.which keeps the reptile from starring in the light.Its the same thing in people,dont stair into the sun because it can cause eye damage even blindness.so if you hang your light at a angle with a clamp lamp it can cause the animal to stair into it causing eye issues.

bextort

5 Year Member
Omg so many difference in opinions, super confusing.
However, I don't even want to consider risking using it if there is a slight chance it may be a 'bad' one.

So can anyone recommend a uvb bulb, I'm from the UK.

james1974

5 Year Member
Illinois

bextort said:
Omg so many difference in opinions, super confusing.
However, I don't even want to consider risking using it if there is a slight chance it may be a 'bad' one.

So can anyone recommend a uvb bulb, I'm from the UK.
Zoomed MVB 100 watt there used in zoo's all over the world good luck my European friend.

FLINTUS

5 Year Member
Tom said:
FLINTUS said:

There was a bad batch. That was mainly what it was. No non-Asian manufactured-not necessarily designed- coil bulbs had problems as far as I was aware.

Sulcata_Sandy

5 Year Member
Pacific NorthWET
I would strongly suggest a PowerSun. I've read the horror stories about those coil bulbs, and we (veterinary hospital, reptile friendly, listed on TFOs vet list [SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]) advise clients to ditch them and go for PowerSun or the zooMed ReptiSun fluorescent tube...
ImageUploadedByTortForum1382288185.123116.jpg

I bough a cheapo fluorescent fixture, 24", under the cupboard style for $8.99. I've seen them at Walmart as well. I tossed the tube that came with it and inserted the ReptiSun. I have three of these running during the day , so I bought a six pack from LLLReptile for $17 each.

I also have three PowerSuns running, get mine on Amazon for an average of $40 with shipping.
Get a ceramic/porcelain base clamp lamp...a big one, and ditch the clamp. I've burned out two with plastic bases. Here is what I do...

ImageUploadedByTortForum1382288423.762958.jpg

And no one yell at me for my indoor Sulcata setup. It's freezing outside, I'm in a rental house, and I'm moving to a horse farm in January and setting up Sulcata paradise in the bar. [GRINNING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]

If you decide to stick with your coil, I don't condemn you for it. But please monitor your tortoise very closely, as it can injure them quickly. Owners complain of rubbing eyes, lethargy, inappetence, then swollen red eyes aka "solar keratitis".

Keep us posted. {{{hugs}}} [GROWING HEART]

Bar...LOL...that would be MY paradise. [GRINNING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]

I mean "setup tortoise paradise in the BARN"! Hahahah

Last edited by a moderator:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
jaizei said:
Tom said:

Just going by what's been said here on TFO. Doesn't matter anyway because I've seen these bulbs cause problems mounted either way.

Bottom line is that some of them cause problems some of the time, and its safer to use bulbs that don't cause problems.

FLINTUS said:
Tom said:
FLINTUS said:

There was a bad batch. That was mainly what it was. No non-Asian manufactured-not necessarily designed- coil bulbs had problems as far as I was aware.

Not true Flintus. The manufacturers claimed there was a "bad batch" several years ago, but we continue to see problems to this day.

FLINTUS

5 Year Member
Different maybe in the states to in Europe? Over here, there have been very few problems at all with them-minus a few Chinese imports-, we've all been cautious because of what you guys in the states had experienced. Mind you though, most of the lighting over here for us tortoise keepers comes from Arcadia as Zoo Med and the like haven't been able to keep up with their technology, so maybe it's company specific? Is there a certain bulb with more problems than the rest?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
FLINTUS said:
Different maybe in the states to in Europe? Over here, there have been very few problems at all with them-minus a few Chinese imports-, we've all been cautious because of what you guys in the states had experienced. Mind you though, most of the lighting over here for us tortoise keepers comes from Arcadia as Zoo Med and the like haven't been able to keep up with their technology, so maybe it's company specific? Is there a certain bulb with more problems than the rest?

This could definitely be the case. One theory that has been proposed is that slight differences in the coatings that are applied during the manufacturing process is the cause of the problem bulbs. Maybe Arcadia has tighter tolerances or more rigorous batch testing?

All I know is that I continually see problems with these things over here. Some people will use them with out incident, while others ask me why their tortoise is rubbing its eyes with its legs, hiding all day and not eating. I have a few vets and vet techs that call me from time to time. They have seen this so many times now that they just know that if a reptile comes in with eye problems, and everything else seems fine, they just know to ask if a coil type UV bulb is being used. This is common with beardies and green iguanas too.

The hard thing is that lots of people, like James, use them and have never had a problem. Not ALL of these bulbs are bad. The problem, as I see it, is that there is no way to know if the bulb is fine or not without putting it over a reptile and seeing if it does damage. A person might use ten of them until they came across a bad one, or the bad one might be the first, or the second...

In my opinion its just better to use other options that are known to be relatively safe in comparison.

james1974

5 Year Member
Illinois

Tom said:
FLINTUS said:

This could definitely be the case. One theory that has been proposed is that slight differences in the coatings that are applied during the manufacturing process is the cause of the problem bulbs. Maybe Arcadia has tighter tolerances or more rigorous batch testing?

All I know is that I continually see problems with these things over here. Some people will use them with out incident, while others ask me why their tortoise is rubbing its eyes with its legs, hiding all day and not eating. I have a few vets and vet techs that call me from time to time. They have seen this so many times now that they just know that if a reptile comes in with eye problems, and everything else seems fine, they just know to ask if a coil type UV bulb is being used. This is common with beardies and green iguanas too.

The hard thing is that lots of people, like James, use them and have never had a problem. Not ALL of these bulbs are bad. The problem, as I see it, is that there is no way to know if the bulb is fine or not without putting it over a reptile and seeing if it does damage. A person might use ten of them until they came across a bad one, or the bad one might be the first, or the second...

In my opinion its just better to use other options that are known to be relatively safe in comparison.

That's a good point you have!

bextort

5 Year Member
SenjiSandy said:
And no one yell at me for my indoor Sulcata setup. It's freezing outside, I'm in a rental house, and I'm moving to a horse farm in January and setting up Sulcata paradise in the bar. [GRINNING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]

How can anyone tell at you after all you've done for Oliver, your a tort hero :)

Yell**

Sulcata_Sandy

5 Year Member
Pacific NorthWET
bextort said:
SenjiSandy said:

How can anyone tell at you after all you've done for Oliver, your a tort hero :)

Yell**

Wow....that actually made me tear up! You just made my day [GROWING HEART][GROWING HEART][GROWING HEART]