Are these fine to feed?

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Newport Coast, CA
They are.

That first one is maybe a spiny sow thistle or a milk thistle? I'm not sure which ones you get in the UK; they are both fine.

The second one looks like regular stinging nettle but all nettles are fine to feed.

I wonder how they are going to get these to you fresh? They don't list a shipping method for the US but they won't last long in the post. Give them a ten minute soak in cool water when you get them, then wrap them in a paper towel or a regular towel and keep them in a plastic bag in the fridge. Depending on how fresh they are when you get them, they might be okay for a week (?maybe). Or perhaps you are going to dry them?

Good luck!

JaySparks

5 Year Member
London
They are.

That first one is maybe a spiny sow thistle or a milk thistle? I'm not sure which ones you get in the UK; they are both fine.

The second one looks like regular stinging nettle but all nettles are fine to feed.

I wonder how they are going to get these to you fresh? They don't list a shipping method for the US but they won't last long in the post. Give them a ten minute soak in cool water when you get them, then wrap them in a paper towel or a regular towel and keep them in a plastic bag in the fridge. Depending on how fresh they are when you get them, they might be okay for a week (?maybe). Or perhaps you are going to dry them?

Good luck!

Thank you :)

Reptilian Feline

Sweden
OK. I understand that finding wild plants in the middle of London might be a bit hard, but wouldn't is be cheaper to just by a train ticket out of the city to a nice walk path spot and pick your own? Nettles, thistles, dandelions and so on.

JaySparks

5 Year Member
London
OK. I understand that finding wild plants in the middle of London might be a bit hard, but wouldn't is be cheaper to just by a train ticket out of the city to a nice walk path spot and pick your own? Nettles, thistles, dandelions and so on.
How would I know if they haven't been sprayed or that they carry any disease. I'm growing my own right now and its growing well. Train tickets aren't cheap cheap specially if I had to do that every week.

Reptilian Feline

Sweden
How would I know if they haven't been sprayed or that they carry any disease. I'm growing my own right now and its growing well. Train tickets aren't cheap cheap specially if I had to do that every week.
I just found it odd that you could make money out of weeds like that. If you find the price is right for the amount you get and the quality, then go for it! I'm lucky, I can get both all summer with the only additivs of sheep poo.

JaySparks

5 Year Member
London
I just found it odd that you could make money out of weeds like that. If you find the price is right for the amount you get and the quality, then go for it! I'm lucky, I can get both all summer with the only additivs of sheep poo.

I'm sure theres a place in the country side but It would be hard to say whether they would be safe or not. I am growing my own and on the mean time a couple pounds doesn't sound too bad.

chin_lee

5 Year Member
WA state Pacific Northwest
how will you know if the person who picked the plants listed on Ebay know 100% if the weeds they are selling had been sprayed or not? Do you take their word for it?

JaySparks

5 Year Member
London
how will you know if the person who picked the plants listed on Ebay know 100% if the weeds they are selling had been sprayed or not? Do you take their word for it?

I asked him and he said it was his own garden that he uses to grow weeds. I don't see why he would lie I specifically told him that it was for a tortoise. People take animal cruelty very seriously here. Like people say if its safe for human consumption then its safe for tortoises. Weeds are fairly hard to grow and they are considered pests thats why many people spray them with weeds killers in the streets etc. Its one of the first things they teach you in school lol. No one wants nettle tea with the after taste of pesticide.

Bambam1989

East Texas
I asked him and he said it was his own garden that he uses to grow weeds. I don't see why he would lie I specifically told him that it was for a tortoise. People take animal cruelty very seriously here. Like people say if its safe for human consumption then its safe for tortoises. Weeds are fairly hard to grow and they are considered pests thats why many people spray them with weeds killers in the streets etc. Its one of the first things they teach you in school lol. No one wants nettle tea with the after taste of pesticide.
Weeds are hard to grow? Someone should inform my yard of this.. it likes growing weeds.

JaySparks

5 Year Member
London
They are.

Good luck!
Do I need to remove the spines from the thistle?

JaySparks

5 Year Member
London
No. Your tortoise is more likely to eat the younger softer leaves

I recently ordered dandelion from the same seller and I got fairly big leaves would it still be okay to be fed if they are older leaves?