Are these girls?

Loulabelle

Hello,

I was wondering if someone could help me. I have 2 (almost 4 year old) Hermann tortoises. When I purchased them the breeder said they had been incubated to be girls, but of course you can't be sure.

I have checked them as they have grown and I think, from what i've read, they are both girls, but about 2 months ago they started fighting, barging each other and humping (albeit mostly to the side of the shell) and both of them were doing it. Yesterday morning we woke up to an egg, and unsure who laid it. So I am wondering if anyone could help me with gendering the tortoises please?

I have attached pictures and look forward to your replies :)
photo 1 (1).JPG photo 2 (1).JPG

russian/sulcata/tortoise

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Northern California, bay area
welcome to the forum! yes they both look female to me. but they should NOT be kept together. tortoises are territorial animals that defend there own territory. if they remain in the same enclosure they will harm and stress out each other.

Loulabelle

Thank you very much for your reply. :) They have now been separated. When I purchased them I was advised they would be able to remain together but the more I have read the more I have understood that this is detrimental for them so they are now apart.

As it's winter they haven't been out in the garden much, once it's summer do you think they will both be okay out in the garden together as it's a large space or should I create a separation there too?

Thanks again for your help, I really appreciate it. :)

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
Thank you very much for your reply. :) They have now been separated. When I purchased them I was advised they would be able to remain together but the more I have read the more I have understood that this is detrimental for them so they are now apart.

As it's winter they haven't been out in the garden much, once it's summer do you think they will both be okay out in the garden together as it's a large space or should I create a separation there too?

Thanks again for your help, I really appreciate it. :)

You can try it and see if it works. If it's large enough, has lots of hides an plants it may be just fine. You'll just have to watch and see.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Loulabelle, and welcome to the Forum!

When a female is getting ready to lay eggs, she gets aggressive towards other tortoises in her environment. I'm sure they will be ok together once they're back outside in the garden.

Loulabelle

That's great thank you. They have been separated for two day now, in a really big tortoise table style enclosure. Betty has now laid a second egg but they have spent the rest of the time trying to get back in with each other and to climb the divide.

They have been together since hatchlings, do they develop familiarity or are they just trying to get to the other space?

Thanks in advance. :D