Are these plants safe?

CleoTheLeo

5 Year Member
I was wondering if these plants are safe or if I should pull them out before I build my new outdoor pen. The sixth picture is kinda hard to see, but it had almost like little balls on the end, kinda looked like one of those jingle bell shaker things people use at Christmas.

plant 1.jpg
plant 2.jpg plant 3.jpg plant 4.jpg plant 5.jpg plant 6.jpg plant 7.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Iochroma

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
San Francisco
There is dandelion in the lower left of the last picture; other than that, there is nothing I would feed to my animals.

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
The last picture is wild strawberry. The leaves are good food. If they eat the flowers, there won't be fruit.

WithLisa

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Austria
The last picture is wild strawberry. The leaves are good food. If they eat the flowers, there won't be fruit.
Are you sure? It looks more like Duchesnea indica to me, but it's hard to tell. It's safe, but my pets don't eat it, not even the rabbits.

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
Are you sure? It looks more like Duchesnea indica to me, but it's hard to tell. It's safe, but my pets don't eat it, not even the rabbits.
You're absolutely right, that's it's Latin name, that's what it is. It's a colloquial thing on my part to call them wild strawberries rather than mock strawberries. They're certainly not alpine strawberries. The fruit tastes like water. My hermann's and RTs eat it, especially the hermann's.