Are Tomatoes OK for Sulcata?

Bullet2013

I was doing the water soak with my baby and had him in a shallow plate that had decorations (painted) of holly on the plate..he kept trying to eat the plate, so I thought he likes red and I had fresh tomatoes. I cut a couple and he went to town on them....is it OK to give him tomatoes once in a while?
New tortoise mom Kathy

TommyZ

5 Year Member
Re: RE: Are Tomatoes OK for Sulcata?

Bullet2013 said:
I was doing the water soak with my baby and had him in a shallow plate that had decorations (painted) of holly on the plate..he kept trying to eat the plate, so I thought he likes red and I had fresh tomatoes. I cut a couple and he went to town on them....is it OK to give him tomatoes once in a while?
New tortoise mom Kathy

Just as a treat now and again, sure. Just the tomato itself though, not the green parts (leaves and stems), green parts are toxic.

Bullet2013

TommyZ said:
Bullet2013 said:
New tortoise mom Kathy

Just as a treat now and again, sure. Just the tomato itself though, not the green parts (leaves and stems), green parts are toxic.

Wow good to know, I only gave him the tomato, but I usually grow them in the spring/summer and would have given him the green leaves..thanks for the warning,

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Tomatoes are like fruit. A little bit once in a while won't kill them, but I wouldn't call it "good" for them either. Rather than fill their stomach with something like that, why not fill it with something that is "good" for them.

stephen killion

In response to Tom, I believe the OP meant as a every once in a while treat. I totally agree that all animals should only eat what is healthy for them and very much understand what you mean, I myself manage an all natura healthy pet food store. However I am in the firm belief that an unhealthy treat that they love every so often does much more good than harm. I myself love an amazing unhealthy snack every now and then, and I've never seen my sulcata go after anything like he goes after a small piece of tomato that I give him like once a month. It's worth it just to see him happy. My cat for instance gets some table scraps once in a while and he is almost 20 years old.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
Tomatoes are mostly moisture, I see them as another source for hydration, and the tortoises think they are getting something special.:)