1. Welcome! Are you interested in tortoises? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our community is the #1 place for tortoise keepers to talk online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your tortoise and enclosure, and discuss any tortoise topic with other tortoise keepers. Get started today!
Dismiss Notice
Hey Guest! The 2018 Tortoise Forum Calendar is here! Click here to pre-order! Proceeds go directly to keeping TFO online and FREE for all to use! Thank you for your support!

Changing Redfoot diet

Discussion in 'Tortoise Diet and Food' started by Edahl, Sep 12, 2017.

1. Edahl

Edahl New Member

Hi I have a mid matched group of tortoises/turtles
    That we found 7 years ago
    By a lake where they had been dumped
    I have follow diets pretty close and they are doing good, I have decided to add some new veggies to their diet, so today I gave them zucchini just cut it up and put it with their fruit, I plan on adding squash in the next day or so, I always am cautious about my kids food as where it is grown, because of pesticides, we grow ours using peppermint
    Spray for pests in the garden, I am feeding them raw zucchini and squash
    I plan on freezing some for this winter, what about tomatoes (I have read so many articles some say no tomatoes and some say yes? Mine love my home grown cherry tomatoes
    I appreciate any help and suggestions
    Thank you
  2. Redfool

Redfool Active Member

(These ads do not appear for registered members.)
    Diced zucchini and squash freeze well and are good bulk food for redfoots. Just thaw thoroughly. Dandelions, chicory and other weeds are also good. Spineless cacti are good too. I have an oriental/Caribbean produce store down the street, I had to photograph and research edibility of many exotic fruits and greens. Tortoisetable.com is a helpful guide.
    TammyJ likes this.